Landline (VOIP) Caller ID

Oldman52

Joined Aug 26, 2022
I need to get the caller ID phone number from a VOIP phone line so I can input it into an Arduino. So I was thinking why not buy one of those $20-30 caller ID boxes that display the caller ID number on the box’s LED and instead just input it to my project. I just don’t know how to do it. I’m sure the schematic for the box in question would be needed. But that as far as I go. If someone could help me I will get a box with the schematic that belongs to it. The Arduino project is already programmed. Thanks in advance

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
This is pretty generic. Most caller ID boxes rely on using a Ht9032 calling line identification receiver. Likely the most common chip used. This article demonstrates the use of one in an Arduino project. In the linked project they assemble a module but again this is what you will likely find in an over the counter caller ID box. You could likely hack one from any phone which has the caller ID feature. Again this is pure speculation on my part. I agree I doubt any caller ID over the counter box will include a schematic.

Ron

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Wait a minute! Getting the caller ID phone number to put someplace where a deviced can make calls and deliver a fake caller ID. I get ten to fifteen calls with faked caller ID every day. And every one of then is a caller wanting to rip-off my money somehow.
So no assistance for building another way to waste my time with another attempted ripoff.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Wait a minute! Getting the caller ID phone number to put someplace where a deviced can make calls and deliver a fake caller ID. I get ten to fifteen calls with faked caller ID every day. And every one of then is a caller wanting to rip-off my money somehow.
So no assistance for building another way to waste my time with another attempted ripoff.
OK I haven't a clue what you are getting at?
From our friends at the FCC (Friendly Cheerful Charlie) or (The Federal Communications Commission)
Spoofing is when a caller deliberately falsifies the information transmitted to your caller ID display to disguise their identity. Scammers often use neighbor spoofing so it appears that an incoming call is coming from a local number, or spoof a number from a company or a government agency that you may already know and trust. If you answer, they use scam scripts to try to steal your money or valuable personal information, which can be used in fraudulent activity.
My house phones have caller ID and like you I get spam or spoofed calls. Maybe a few a day since my carrier is good at identifying and blocking bum calls. My caller ID also runs a log of all incoming calls. What I do not get is why anyone would figure why the thread starter would want to even log, assuming he does, caller ID numbers for all the wrong reasons? How do you see any attempted rip off? Hell I have a log by date time group of every call we get on our house line and also my smart phone.

If any call comes in and we recognize the caller we take the call and if not they can leave a message. Pretty simple. Also, quite true is spoofers will use local numbers as pointed out above. Hell, even emails are easily spoofed. I don't see a problem if someone wants help logging or even sidplaying incoming phone cslld.

Ron

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
OK, I may have read it wrong. If it s an incoming then it is OK. I was thinking to seek out the actual CID of a VOIP address.
WhatIwant is for spoofing to be a felony class crime similar to identity theft. If the government could simply block all internet access from the countries allowing these constant calls, they would probably stop in a few days. I often get 4 or 5 calls just when I am having my short lunch break.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
OK, I may have read it wrong. If it s an incoming then it is OK. I was thinking to seek out the actual CID of a VOIP address.
WhatIwant is for spoofing to be a felony class crime similar to identity theft. If the government could simply block all internet access from the countries allowing these constant calls, they would probably stop in a few days. I often get 4 or 5 calls just when I am having my short lunch break.
Tell; me something. Why is it that the US Government can locate a single mad cow on the face of the planet but the US Government can't seem to eliminate spam calls and scams in general? :)

Ron

Oldman52

Joined Aug 26, 2022
I HATE SPAM CALLS AS WELL. But you are drawing the wrong conclusion as to why I want the caller ID info. So let me explain:

I purchased a “box” (TB1000) that asks everyone who calls my house to press a number from their keypad to continue. That got rid of all the telemarketers but annoyed everybody else(friends and family).

I just finished writing an Arduino program (sketch) that allows me to store a “White list” and a “Black list” of phone numbers. In test mode it works perfectly when I manually type in a caller ID number. If the caller is on the White List a set of relays jumpers out the telemarketing “box”.

So the last part of this project is to build the front end. I need the part where when the phone rings in the house the program tells me the caller ID. After googling my brains out the only Arduino solution seems to be the HT9032D module by Dilshan. The problem is that, that PCB board and/or the completed module are not available.

So I came up with another approach. Why not buy one of those $20-30 caller ID boxes that display the caller ID number on the box’s LED and instead just input it to my project. I just don’t know how to do it. How does that communication work? HELP !!! Thanks in advance

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Well again my best guess is if you buy a caller ID box we figure it's a given no schematic included. How to read the data from the box? I am seeing the HT9032 chips in 8 pin dip on Amazon. Those look to be available. They do deem hard to find. As to extracting the data you want from a caller ID box? It will really depend on the box and how the particular box gets the data and streams it to a display. You can also try a Google of "link sprite caller ID module" which may find you a HT9032 module. Again, with buying a caller ID box I see it as a crap shoot.

Ron

plato92

Joined Aug 27, 2022
Unfortunately, I also get a lot of such numbers, from 5 to 10 a day, unfortunately I would like to do something about it, but I do not know how

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Tell; me something. Why is it that the US Government can locate a single mad cow on the face of the planet but the US Government can't seem to eliminate spam calls and scams in general? :)

Ron
I suspect that the payoff is great enough to quiet any government officials who would do anything And probably the lobbylng efforts of some marketing groups also prevents any real enforcement.
Besides that, none of the folks in positions that could do something are ever bothered by those calls.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I suspect that the payoff is great enough to quiet any government officials who would do anything And probably the lobbylng efforts of some marketing groups also prevents any real enforcement.
Besides that, none of the folks in positions that could do something are ever bothered by those calls.
Oh no, say it isn't so. I have a solution, we just eliminate lobbyist. Sadly most of our elected officials are bought and sold everyday. They no longer serve the people but rather serve themselves. I suspect your suspicions are true.

Ron

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Adequate proof would be difficult.
We can say that plugging in a lamp and having it light up proves that electricity is making it light, but in reality that is just "circumstantial evidence because we offer no "adequate" explanation.

Oldman52

Joined Aug 26, 2022
Thanks you Reloadron, I already knew about all the suggestions you mentioned. I was just hoping that one more choice was still out there. Well I finally gave in. I went to eBay and purchased the Linksprite caller ID module . I hope the 3-8 week delivery time is well worth it. I hate buying "Made in China". FYI, although I agree with the "other" opinions expressed here big brother saves all these communications for later use.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
By all means let us know how this goes. Hard to believe the lead time but with things the way they are in the supply chain I am not totally surprised. :(

Ron

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020

Ron
One minute people say they don't want government watching what they see, do, who they talk to, etc.
how do you expect "the government" to monitor a private company's electronic traffic (Verizon, AT&T, ...), and somehow not take notice of legitimate calls but stop spam calls? If you expect "the government" to watch out over you on the internet, should they monitor who enters your house? Whose house you enter? Who you do business with?

Be careful what you ask for the government to do.