Keeping safe my bridge rectifier

Cavidex

Joined Feb 19, 2023
I'm kind of a newbie in electronics and I'm finishing a project that I started quite a while ago. I got my hands on a microwave oven transformer and removed the second winding, I want to use this transformer to make an electrolisys cell to power a blowtorch, I also bought a bridge rectifier that can handle max 150A. The transformer is a 700W transformer and with just 6 windings the voltage would be enough to keep save my bridge rectifier if the Amps wouldn't be more than 150 ( 6 windings gives me 4,8V and if I divide 700 by 4,8 it should be less than 150A). Here is my question: if I put a steel sheet too big as an electrode in my electrolisys will it require more Amps and subsequently make more than 150A pass through the bridge rectifier burning it or will the 700W be the max that won't let anymore power through? To clarify I live in Europe so my wall power is 220V

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
There is never any guarantee that an overload won't destroy an electronic component, perhaps something as simple as a fuse could do the job for you.

Cavidex

Joined Feb 19, 2023
Will the transformer let through more than 700W if the electrolisys cell requires it?
edit: is there any electronic component that will cap out the current to X amount of Amps while letting anything under through?

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
Will the transformer let through more than 700W if the electrolisys cell requires it?

Probably, at least for a short time.

edit: is there any electronic component that will cap out the current to X amount of Amps while letting anything under through?

There are electronic circuits that will do that.

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
There are more experienced people here that can get more information from you and provide better answers then I can.

In the meantime, do a search for "current limit circuits", to get a little primer.