K - map simplification

Turtle1234

Joined Apr 24, 2020
Hello

Just wondering if anyone can help me to get the boolean expressions from these k-maps and too simplify them.

Any help would greatly be appreciated as I believe I keep getting this part wrong causing many issues.

1587764256906.png

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I'm unfamiliar with your notation. Please explain what, for instance, "5p" refers to.

In general, you will need to show your best attempt to work your problem as far as you can.

Turtle1234

Joined Apr 24, 2020
I'm unfamiliar with your notation. Please explain what, for instance, "5p" refers to.

In general, you will need to show your best attempt to work your problem as far as you can.
[/QUOTE

Its the input to a drinks machine, i have conducted the truth table which leads to these values being drawn from it. but normal k maps only use basic 1's. I know the k-maps are right it's just getting the boolean expressions from them and simplifying. I would leave it at this stage but I need to implement it as well to test it works. If that makes sense.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
You K-map has three inputs, A, B, and C.

What does it mean for NC to be 5p when A=1 and B=C=0?

Last edited:

Turtle1234

Joined Apr 24, 2020
So for example the value you have specified is when a 5p coin is inserted the present state is 1,0,0 according to A,B,C respectively and this is drawn from the fact of there being 3 next states which are the k maps of NA, NB and NC. So the next state for that one value from the state diagram, is 101 and with there being a 1 in the NC column this present state and input is taken to put that value in that box.

There are not many examples of k-maps this complex. I attempt the boolean expressions drawn from them but when tested it doesn't respond as intended, leading to errors within this part of the logic.

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Perhaps it would help if you provided the text of the actual problem. We can't know if you are doing something right unless we know what it is you are supposed to be doing in the first place.

Turtle1234

Joined Apr 24, 2020
Honestly its just the boolean expressions for example for NA i get (below), this is once simplified but i believe i have made a mistake from drawing the boolean expressions from the k-map. Its just drawing the expressions from the k-maps.1587767977669.png

Analog Ground

Joined Apr 24, 2019
It looks like you have a logic expressions with 6 inputs: (10p), (5p), (2p), A, B, C. To properly map this, you would use a 6 input K-map. Since the number of minterms (ANDs) is small, better to reduce it algebraically. Am I correct about the 6 inputs?

Analog Ground

Joined Apr 24, 2019
yes, That's correct. So you would recommend using a 6 input k-map instead?
I would do it algebraically. However, if you want to use your K-Maps, look for the same expressions using 10p, 5p and 2p in more than one cell of a k-map. If they are "adjacent" in a truth table sense, combine them to eliminate A, B or C inputs in the full expression. For example, I see two identical expressions in one map. Are they adjacent? Can A, B or C be eliminated? Are there others?

Is this a class assignment? We don't want to just give you the answer if it is school work. What you are asking is not a very standard problem. So, I think I am correct but maybe others can check my reasoning.

Finally, we can check your work. So, if you have a solution. Post it and we can comment on it.

Edit: I will add that when done with the step above, you will need to do some algebra to get the result into SOP (Sum Of Products) form. If that is what you need. Converting to 6 input k-maps will give you the SOP form directly but the price is solving 6 input maps.

Last edited:

Analog Ground

Joined Apr 24, 2019
So for example the value you have specified is when a 5p coin is inserted the present state is 1,0,0 according to A,B,C respectively and this is drawn from the fact of there being 3 next states which are the k maps of NA, NB and NC. So the next state for that one value from the state diagram, is 101 and with there being a 1 in the NC column this present state and input is taken to put that value in that box.

There are not many examples of k-maps this complex. I attempt the boolean expressions drawn from them but when tested it doesn't respond as intended, leading to errors within this part of the logic.
So, A, B, C are state variables and NA, NB, NC mean the Next A, Next B and Next C?. Seems straightforward if this is what you are trying to do. Are you testing this in hardware? Are you using programmable logic?

Analog Ground

Joined Apr 24, 2019
Honestly its just the boolean expressions for example for NA i get (below), this is once simplified but i believe i have made a mistake from drawing the boolean expressions from the k-map. Its just drawing the expressions from the k-maps.View attachment 205300
There are 4 product terms in your expression. The solution using my method above has 5 and I think the right most product term in your expression has an error.

Turtle1234

Joined Apr 24, 2020
Unfortunately I didn't get a notification for these last few posts. I have managed to solve my problem and test it and it all fully functions as intended. but through what you have said you are right. Thank you for the help anyways.

Analog Ground

Joined Apr 24, 2019
Unfortunately I didn't get a notification for these last few posts. I have managed to solve my problem and test it and it all fully functions as intended. but through what you have said you are right. Thank you for the help anyways.
Thank you for getting back to me with the status of your post. It was an interesting question. I had never thought about embedding logic expressions in a K-map.