Just seeks some info -Connecting 90 watts of LEDs

ThePanMan

Joined Mar 13, 2020
Of course it's possible. But to answer the question "HOW?" we'll need to know what power source you want to use. We could tell you how to do it with a 45 volt battery - but you might not just happen to have one handy. So we can't answer the how until we know more about what you are working with. Including more information than 3W LED's. Are these running at 110VAC? Are they running on 5VDC? 12VDC? Exactly what voltage? What power source? We can help you get there. I just don't want to do it FOR you. I'll help if I can. If I can't - I'll be sure to make that clear. Won't give you bad information if I can help it.

Flozfzx

Joined Jan 15, 2018
Of course it's possible. But to answer the question "HOW?" we'll need to know what power source you want to use. We could tell you how to do it with a 45 volt battery - but you might not just happen to have one handy. So we can't answer the how until we know more about what you are working with. Including more information than 3W LED's. Are these running at 110VAC? Are they running on 5VDC? 12VDC? Exactly what voltage? What power source? We can help you get there. I just don't want to do it FOR you. I'll help if I can. If I can't - I'll be sure to make that clear. Won't give you bad information if I can help it.
Thank you for your reply.

The lights are for a reef tank, What i actually want to do is expend the lights. I currently have 60 Leds with 5 channel that are driven by meanwell 700LDD being powered by 250w 10amp 48volt power supply. There are 12 -3.1vf Led per channel which are control by a PWM. I wanted to add another 12 led on each channel thus bring 24 led per channel?

Is this possible? Would i need to upgrade the drivers or the power supply?

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Nothing in you post adds up.

10A at 48V is 480W, not 250.

12 LEDs at 3.1V is 37.2V, not 48V.

Edited to add:

60 + 5 x 12 is 120, not 30

120 x 3W is 360 W, not 90.

Bob

Last edited:

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
The answer is no, because the drivers will not reach the voltage needed for that long a string.

Also your supply is not capable of supplying double the wattage.

So you need to add 5 more drivers with 12 LEDs each, and also upgrade the supply to handle the extra wattage.

If you reduce each string to 10, you just might squeak by with the same supply, but you will still need 5 more drivers.

NOTE: this is based on the supply being 250 watt not 480, if the supply is actually 480 watt then you have plenty of power, but will still need the extra drivers.

Last edited:

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Depends on which of the contradictory numbers you use. He originally asked about 30 LEDs. Then we find out he had 60 and was adding another 60. And the power supply is either 250W as he stated or 48V x 10A.

You should be able to drive 120 3W LEDs from a 10A 48V supply by using 8 strings of 15.

Bob

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
You should be able to drive 120 3W LEDs from a 10A 48V supply by using 8 strings of 15.
I don't know...looks like the drivers needs about 4 volts of overhead so it might not produce the output voltage needed with a 48 volt input.

Also considering the Vf of each LED @ 700mA may actually be higher than 3.1.

Flozfzx

Joined Jan 15, 2018
Depends on which of the contradictory numbers you use. He originally asked about 30 LEDs. Then we find out he had 60 and was adding another 60. And the power supply is either 250W as he stated or 48V x 10A.

Bob
Yes i figured thank you .