Just bought an ISP device programmer for Atmel's AT89 mcu's

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I've had it with my old EETool's chipmax programmer that works through the parallel port. Parallel ports are dead! And I've been having a hard time finding desktop computers with that capability every time I hit the road. Besides, even if I find a computer with a parallel port, the thing has to be running on a 32-bit OS, otherwise it won't work!

So finally, after doing lots of searching, I stumbled upon these guys:

The thing is far cheaper than what EETools has to offer on this regard. It only cost me $78.00 dlls, including DHL's S&H in less than a week. It's small, slick, and very portable.

It will allow me to program my devices while they're still attached to the PCB. Of course, I'll have to include the proper connector header in my designs from now on. But that's a small nuance.

For those who found this thread interesting, I'll get back here later on and report my experience with that device.

Last edited:

jayanthd

Joined Jul 4, 2015
I have all the mikroE programmers and also many mikroE development boards and modules and all the mikroE softwares. mikroProg for 8051 doesn't support much chips.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
It's finally here!

405a7505-54d2-4e58-9636-f84243d0c31a.jpg

Looks real nice and slick ... I know, I could've just followed atmel's instructions on how to build this device, but they're not clear and complete, and I could've never been able to build it with such a thin, clean-looking enclosure.
Already plugged it in, and the drivers detected it just fine. It's going to be at least a couple of weeks before I actually use it.

And btw .... yes, the glass on the right is my celebration beer for the occasion. :D

And btw .... yes, the glass on the right is my celebration beer for the occasion. :D[/QUOTE]

Drunk in charge of an AVR ?
That's your license gone for 12 months.

You could have got a PICKIT3 for £25.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Update:

I'm sooooooo pleased with this programmer that I've now bought a second one! ... one for my workshop, and one for the road ... life is good! :D

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I've had it with my old EETool's chipmax programmer that works through the parallel port. Parallel ports are dead! And I've been having a hard time finding desktop computers with that capability every time I hit the road. Besides, even if I find a computer with a parallel port, the thing has to be running on a 32-bit OS, otherwise it won't work!

So finally, after doing lots of searching, I stumbled upon these guys:

The thing is far cheaper than what EETools has to offer on this regard. It only cost me $78.00 dlls, including DHL's S&H in less than a week. It's small, slick, and very portable.

It will allow me to program my devices while they're still attached to the PCB. Of course, I'll have to include the proper connector header in my designs from now on. But that's a small nuance.

For those who found this thread interesting, I'll get back here later on and report my experience with that device.
I've always had the feeling that one of these days you would figure out that your time is worth something, and lowering your stress level can be even more valuable.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I've always had the feeling that one of these days you would figure out that your time is worth something, and lowering your stress level can be even more valuable.
You're right... I have two things in my personality going against me: I'm a perfectionist, and I'm stubborn... pretty bad combinations for time management... But I've been working on them, and doing a little progress. God willing, I'll be able to transform perfectionism into pragmatism, and stubbornness into wise perseverance.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
You're right... I have two things in my personality going against me: I'm a perfectionist, and I'm stubborn... pretty bad combinations for time management... But I've been working on them, and doing a little progress. God willing, I'll be able to transform perfectionism into pragmatism, and stubbornness into wise perseverance.
Well, we're very much alike. It's too bad we didn't know each other sooner. You would have been a great colleague to be in business with.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I've built a small PCB, with a zif ic socket, a UB232R module, a crystal oscillator and the proper header connection to interface it to the programmer. And now I can program my chips and test run them at the same time without removing them from the board.

This is a huge advantage, since a lot of the hard part of the programming that I do has to do with logic and number processes. And the MCU chips don't have to be installed in the intended machine for that. Now I can do a lot of realistic simulations and tests directly from my computer or laptop, without even having to leave my workbench!

Capture.PNG

Yeah, I know. I accidentally splintered the device's plastic cover while drilling it... that hurt... ouch... that plastic thingy turned out to be more fragile than I expected it to be. Fortunately, I didn't completely ruin it, and a little glue here and there was perfectly capable of holding it together.