Just another happy ending to 2020

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I had prostate surgery in November and ended up in
The Emergency Room. A couple of weeks later, here I am in the ER again. Maybe gall bladder. Maybe kidney infection. Maybe, maybe, maybe. I’ve only been sick once in my adult life before now. Cannot WAIT for 2020 to end.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Cannot WAIT for 2020 to end.
Be careful what you wish for. ;)

If you feel like you're not up to it yourself, be sure to have someone advocating on your behalf. Challenge the doctors, question the treatments, make sure the nurses pay attention to details. Sounds silly that it should matter but these are busy people running an assembly line. They want to help you but in my experience patient care is infinitely better when the patient or his advocate are right there on top of things.

Happy holidays!

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I'm batting 0.000 with surgeons.

The first one left me with a couple divets in my thigh from his cauterizing tool. 6 years later and one of the scars is still quite noticeable.

The other was out patient back surgery. After vomiting blood for a couple hours, they told me I should to go a hospital. 6 hours for surgery+recovery and then around 6 hours in the emergency room. The people in the emergency room couldn't believe that I had had back surgery that morning and kept asking me what my incision looked like. All I remembered was that I vomited about 600cc of blood because the anesthesiologist tore my esophagus with the breathing tube.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
It's always good to count one's blessings, even after a crappy year such as this. We've all got plenty of things to be grateful for. God bless you and all your family and loved ones, DJ. A very merry and beautiful Christmas to you and every member of this wonderful place.

1608841481580.png

Last edited:

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
On massive antibiotics. White blood count super high. Kidneys infected and affecting my walking and back. Three days, and a small improvement. But my kidneys are still in severe pain.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Be sure to let your attending physician know about the pain. "Ordinary" kidney infections and gall bladder failures are readily curable. Let's hope it is one of these. Having an improvement, no matter how small suggests they are doing something right. Take it a day at a time. Have the best Christmas you can have!

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
And as my Nephrologist reminds me, drink plenty of liquids to keep the kidneys flushing toxins as they should. Kidney back pain is no joke and hopefully getting better instead of worse. This is one of the reasons I opted for the non-surgical Cyber-Knife robotic nuking of my prostate. But then I got a Strep infection at Mayo when they took my cancerous kidney out... Hang in there DJ!

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
And as my Nephrologist reminds me, drink plenty of liquids to keep the kidneys flushing toxins as they should. Kidney back pain is no joke and hopefully getting better instead of worse. This is one of the reasons I opted for the non-surgical Cyber-Knife robotic nuking of my prostate. But then I got a Strep infection at Mayo when they took my cancerous kidney out... Hang in there DJ!
This all started with a TURP procedure. Trans-Urethral Resection of the Prostate. Several UTIs later and I’m on a 10 day course of some very strong antibiotic. I have an appointment with the attending urologist Monday afternoon and a telehealth meeting with my PCP the next day...

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
UTI's can be nasty. After my Cyber-Knife nuking it was painful urinating so they screamed UTI and put me on meds, which didn't do anything for me. So they changed the meds and gave me some pee cup culture tests which finally after several negative tests finally showed something. My Urologist looked at it and laughed and told me "You can't get this type of infection in the urinary tract, the test was contaminated". Finally, after several months of fighting it, my Urologist tells me that it is nerve damage from the nuking and even now many years later it still hurts to take a leak.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
UTI's can be nasty. After my Cyber-Knife nuking it was painful urinating so they screamed UTI and put me on meds, which didn't do anything for me. So they changed the meds and gave me some pee cup culture tests which finally after several negative tests finally showed something. My Urologist looked at it and laughed and told me "You can't get this type of infection in the urinary tract, the test was contaminated". Finally, after several months of fighting it, my Urologist tells me that it is nerve damage from the nuking and even now many years later it still hurts to take a leak.
Thanks for that story... :oops:

jgessling

Joined Jul 31, 2009
That’s the only time I’ve ever seen a coach use on of those phones. I thought they were just for advertising since everyone is hooked up on headsets. Maybe they are and Bill was not getting any dial tone. There’s a good old fashion term!

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I just got a postcard in the mail advertising a New Year's Eve party at the POA Community Center Restaurant tomorrow night for $60. I guess these folks are taking some mighty fine drugs and don't know that we are in the middle of a public health crisis. I gotta love that hopeful attitude, while staying home safe and sound like I've done for the past 44 New Year's Eves.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Cannot WAIT for 2020 to end.
Tomorrow will just be another sunrise. Very little difference tomorrow from today. Except my neighbor throwing confetti all over the place. If I stay up late it will be binge watching some foreign crime series. If they have a Star Wars marathon I MIGHT watch some of that.