Johnson motor revisited.

recklessrog

Joined May 23, 2013
One very bright young member of my club has posed another question that I would like some help in answering. In looking through my computer, he found my files from some years ago on making a Johnson motor and now wants to make one.
As I have all the plans and I believe they were "outlawed"? or something like that, Does anyone on here have any knowledge on the subject? Is there some reason all the plans were removed from the internet at one time, as I see they are now published again?
From what I can see, it is apparently debunked as a hoax, Or is the debunking a hoax?

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Could you provide a bit more information?

What do you mean by "Johnson motor"?

The only two things that come to my mind are small motors used in a lot of applications built by Johnson Electric and the outboard motors seen on a lot of small boats.

If the plans are available on the internet again, perhaps a link to one of them might be helpful????

hexreader

Joined Apr 16, 2011
Just another smelly pile of clap-trap Mumbo-Jumbo BS.

At the risk of making a scammer rich with YouTube views, I found this link:

Please would a moderator move this thread to the "Woo-Woo" area of this site.

The author shows a "Real" device in the video, which looks suspiciously like a drawing to my eyes.

As usual, this semi over-unity motor cannot be built until you send the author a ton of money.

Hurry to invest in this amazing opportunity to make a scammer rich and yourself poor

recklessrog

Joined May 23, 2013
Yes very similar, but I cannot see how it could work, and apparently it has been debunked as a hoax. Another view is that the debunkers are the hoax, and somehow he did achive what seems to me impossible.
I believe that there are now near room temperature superconducting materials, maybe they may be how it could be done although how you defy the laws of physics with conventional magnets does not seem possible.

recklessrog

Joined May 23, 2013
Could you provide a bit more information?

What do you mean by "Johnson motor"?

The only two things that come to my mind are small motors used in a lot of applications built by Johnson Electric and the outboard motors seen on a lot of small boats.

If the plans are available on the internet again, perhaps a link to one of them might be helpful????
See the link by Bertus, I'm sure it can't be done, but I just would like some definitive definition to give to the lad, without just the usual "you can't get something for nothing" I don't like saying It can't be done, without a valid argument to back it up.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Yes very similar, but I cannot see how it could work, and apparently it has been debunked as a hoax. Another view is that the debunkers are the hoax, and somehow he did achive what seems to me impossible.
I believe that there are now near room temperature superconducting materials, maybe they may be how it could be done although how you defy the laws of physics with conventional magnets does not seem possible.
Unless someone considers -70°C to be "near room temperature", we aren't anywhere close to that goal. Plus, that particular material needs to be under about 150 GPa (1.5 million atmospheres) of pressure. I think the highest Tc for a 1 atm superconductor is about -140 °C.

The snippet posted by bertus appears to be nothing more than technobabble. It's hard to refute technobabble. Imagine someone claiming that the underlying reason why diodes work is because of subvalence tachyon resonance which, in the limit of thermodynamic equilibrium between the disparate doping nuclei, reduces to the commonly understood electron-hole diffusion model. How do you refute that? What research could you site that proves that this isn't the case? How would you explain how this can't possibly be the mechanism?

hexreader

Joined Apr 16, 2011
Disclaimer: I am no expert in Mechanics or Physics.

Disproving something is difficult without a deep understanding of physics and maths. Even the cleverest Scientists have to just accept some things as unprovable, but shown to be true so far.

Maybe the answer would be to address the reasons that the scammer claims the device DOES work. Then explain the errors in the proposed theories. But then, who wants to waste their life debunking scammer claims.

I am not knowledgeable enough to de-bunk this particular claim, but I have seen enough similar hoaxes/scams to be able to smell BS when I come across it.

The ridiculous language used is highly suspicious straight off.

I suspect that there is no easy answer to give to your "lad" that will satisfy him.

I must admit that the reply "the laws of thermodynamics make over-unity impossible" is not overly satisfying as an answer to me either, but I accept it as true (according to best current scientific understanding). I also accept that I have insufficient knowledge or brain-power to understand the full answer.

hexreader

Joined Apr 16, 2011
Oh.... and by the way, both normal magnets AND superconducting magnets obey the laws of physics. A room temperature superconductor would not make over-unity possible. ..... but it makes the scam sound more exciting and more plausible to the lay-man.

ebp

Joined Feb 8, 2018
When I saw the name Johnson and got to the bits about one-plusiness, my immediate thought was "What has [ ] been up to this time?!"
I vaguely knew a Johnson who was heavily into magic magnets for over-unity. He was the typical "scientists don't know everything" type. It is a true statement. It doesn't give one tiny shred of credibility to kooks who think they do know things. He was convinced a test of his generator proved he was right, but he didn't even know how to do the relatively simple math that clearly showed he was wrong.

I agree with dendad - if this thing worked, someone would be building it. The patent is 40 years old.

The language of the US courts is "patents which have not been held to be invalid" which is rather revealing.

recklessrog

Joined May 23, 2013
Thanks for all the responses, I will try and burst his bubble slowly :) He's only ten, but extremely bright and very inquisitive.

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
Thanks for all the responses, I will try and burst his bubble slowly :) He's only ten, but extremely bright and very inquisitive.
I would start by making a real motor. One example is the so-called World's Simplest Motor.

The version I built is the one that uses enamel coated magnet wire with the insulation partially scraped away to make a commutator.

upload_2018-2-28_13-28-39.jpeg
This is the kit you can buy. But all you need is a C or D cell, ceramic magnet, a couple of paper clips, a battery holder and some magnet wire. If you don't want to solder then you need a couple of alligator clips.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I would start by making a real motor. One example is the so-called World's Simplest Motor.

The version I built is the one that uses enamel coated magnet wire with the insulation partially scraped away to make a commutator.

View attachment 147264
This is the kit you can buy. But all you need is a C or D cell, ceramic magnet, a couple of paper clips, a battery holder and some magnet wire. If you don't want to solder then you need a couple of alligator clips.
Paper clips! Who needs paper clips? :D

You introduced me to that motor about a quarter century ago and I've used it as a demo for numerous kids and even practicing electrical engineers and most are enthralled by it.

One of the folks I showed it to then did some searching of his own and discovered what I call the World's Simplester Motor. It only uses a single AA cell, a round rare earth magnet the same diameter as the battery and between 1/4" and 1/2" tall (roughly) and about six to eight inches of solid bare copper wire (#24 works fine but a little thicker works better up to about #18). It's a super simple homopolar design.

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
Paper clips! Who needs paper clips? :D

You introduced me to that motor about a quarter century ago and I've used it as a demo for numerous kids and even practicing electrical engineers and most are enthralled by it.

One of the folks I showed it to then did some searching of his own and discovered what I call the World's Simplester Motor. It only uses a single AA cell, a round rare earth magnet the same diameter as the battery and between 1/4" and 1/2" tall (roughly) and about six to eight inches of solid bare copper wire (#24 works fine but a little thicker works better up to about #18). It's a super simple homopolar design.
The reason I like the one that uses magnet wire is that it is a real DC motor. This is a great way to teach how a toy motor actually works. (It can also use just about any magnet that is handy.) :D

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
It's a super simple homopolar design.
In a homopolar motor the axis of magnetic field is the same as axis of rotation, but in this it seems that the axis of magnetic field is perpendicular to the axis of rotation. How does that work?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
In a homopolar motor the axis of magnetic field is the same as axis of rotation, but in this it seems that the axis of magnetic field is perpendicular to the axis of rotation. How does that work?
In the simplester motor the magnetic field is in the axis of rotation

SimplesterMotor.png

The advantages that RichardO speaks regarding the Simplest Motor have a lot of merit.

This one makes for a good puzzle to get folks thinking out of the box since most have never seen or heard of a homopolar motor.