Java programmer expert

naickej4

Joined Jul 12, 2015
Hi All,

I am planning to further my knowledge in Java. I want to be an expert or "guru" in Java. I am also going for an Interview and test for a Java programmer's job on the 30th of November.

Please can I have tips that will help me to prepare for the job/test. I also need to know how to master and become an expert in this programming language.

I have an old Java text book from the year 2002.

Please can someone recommend me on the correct path in going forward.

thank you.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
You write LOTS of programs, each of which requires you to do something you haven't done before. That might be combining things that you have done in a new way, or doing something completely different, such as adding a new item to a GUI interface, or working with a database, or web programming, or multithreading or whatever.

tranzz4md

Joined Apr 10, 2015
The old textbook is probably a good resource, but something newer will help as well. This and other websites will help too. We hope you will do well, and that you've already got a good start and a bit of experience behind you, because less than 40 days,,,,, isn't much. Still, we're pretty much a " never say never" bunch and many of us have also had " beat you brains out" runs of long, hard days. The prior reply by WBahn is the straight truth, and there's no way around it.

naickej4

Joined Jul 12, 2015
Hi,
I think this might sound like a silly question, but do you think its vital to remember syntax?
Does anyone know if interview questions will ask about syntax or just the logic?

Thank you.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Most will (should) focus on concepts and problem solving abilities. But if the position is specifically for a programmer in Language X and you walk in as an applicant claiming to be an experienced Language X programmer and you aren't solid on the syntax of Language X, warning bells are going to be ringing loudly in the mind of the interviewer.

naickej4

Joined Jul 12, 2015
Most will (should) focus on concepts and problem solving abilities. But if the position is specifically for a programmer in Language X and you walk in as an applicant claiming to be an experienced Language X programmer and you aren't solid on the syntax of Language X, warning bells are going to be ringing loudly in the mind of the interviewer.
Hi Sir. Thanks, I understand what you mean. I blame myself since i stopped remembering syntax because google made life so easy. I am going to cram as much as I possibly can. I have till end of the month to be able to master Java. Do you maybe know of any free online Java tests that will not ask you to pay to view the results at the end of the test.
Thank you