James Earl Carter Jr. 39th American President

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Looks like this is the end of the journey for him.
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/former-president-jimmy-carter-98-begins-hospice-care-at-home
ATLANTA (AP) — Former President Jimmy Carter, who at 98 years old is the longest-lived American president, has entered home hospice care in Plains, Georgia, a statement from The Carter Center confirmed Saturday.

After a series of short hospital stays, the statement said, Carter “decided to spend his remaining time at home with his family and receive hospice care instead of additional medical intervention.”

https://www.history.navy.mil/browse-by-topic/people/presidents/carter.html
1475764226453.jpg1475764345418.jpg

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
As honorable a man as we ever elected.

Unfortunately socked with a terrible economy and the Iran hostage disaster.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/chalk-river-nuclear-accident-1.6293574
How a future U.S. president helped avert nuclear disaster near Canada's capital
The partial meltdown at the facility brought explosions and it was flooded with hundreds of thousands of gallons of water, prompting the Canadian government to turn to its neighbour to the south for assistance.

Carter, a U.S. Navy lieutenant who was working on a nuclear submarine project in Schenectady, N.Y., at the time, was called upon to head north.
Carter led a team of men on the mission, which required the reactor to be shut down, taken apart and replaced. An exact replica of the reactor was built at a playground nearby, with Carter and his troops practising taking it apart and putting it back together as quickly as possible.

When it came time to work on the actual reactor, the men worked in shifts of 90 seconds — the high radioactivity made anything longer extremely dangerous.

"By today's standards, there's no way that would have happened," Milnes said.

"In [Carter's] case, at least, he was lowered into the building … with his wrench, and he had to run over to the reactor casing and he had one screw to turn. That was all the time he had. And then, boom, back up."
Milnes said Carter remembered the after-effects of the experience decades later.

"He talks about [it] today. He had radioactive urine for many weeks afterwards. They were tested continuously," he said. "He was told it was likely that he would never have children."

Carter has four children.
Hot peanuts.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://news.yahoo.com/jimmy-carters-final-foe-parasitic-110010725.html
In his final days, Jimmy Carter on cusp of a humanitarian goal: Eradicating a parasitic worm
“I’d like the last Guinea worm to die before I do,” the 39th president told reporters at the Carter Center. “We know where all of them are, so obviously that would be my top priority.”

Carter had set up the global Guinea Worm Eradication Program in 1986, when about 3.5 million people across rural Africa and Asia were afflicted by the excruciating parasite that has plagued humans for thousands of years.

The 98-year-old, now in hospice at home in Plains, Ga., is on the cusp of reaching his goal: The number of reported human cases dwindled in 2022 to 13 — an all-time low.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
While I don't think he made a very good president -- in large part because he (in my opinion) wasn't able to respond with sufficient strength and resolve to the challenging world events that he faced -- I have always felt he was a good and honorable man. I think, perhaps, the degree to which he was a "good man" was a handicap in being the kind of "strong leader" that his time in office needed. But his humanitarian and other efforts, both domestic and abroad, after leaving office should be a model for other elected leaders, particularly former presidents, to follow. While there were a few times that I thought he went a bit far in and ended up interfering with U.S. policy with some of his diplomatic efforts, which I don't think former presidents should do (or, if they want to have an influence, they should do it quietly as advisors to current leaders), I think he largely made an effort to use his status as a former president in positive ways that successfully steered clear of that line. I had a chance to express these opinions to him as a caller on a radio talk show that he was a guest on and he accepted the praise with humility and the criticism with grace.

I believe he is also the most well-educated president we have ever had, but then I'm sure my definition of "well-educated" is somewhat biased, favoring technical education. Herbert Hoover was a mining engineer and Carter had a bachelors in nuclear propulsion and did graduate work in nuclear physics and reactor design.

Jon Chandler

Joined Jun 12, 2008
Actually, President Carter entered hospice 7 months ago, expected to pass within a week. Today, a week before his 99th birthday, he made an appearance at the Plains, GA Peanut Festival.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
killivolt Off-Topic 11
J General Electronics Chat 2
spinnaker Off-Topic 1