Jaguar Tachometer - Needing Datasheet

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
Looking for a datasheet for a Texas Instruments MIC 2/C frequency to voltage converter. This is from the 70s or 80s and I have googled it to death to no avail. I am hoping to find a chip that is similar to repair this tachometer. 1990 Jaguar XJS. 12 CYLINDER.
my hope is that some of the older members will have an old book around and maybe find it and share. Thanks in advance.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
As a last resort, you may be able to identify its pin functions by comparison to other F-V (or V-F) converters. The 8-pin versions have a lot of similarities, but are not identical (e.g., Vcc and GND may be reversed).

How many pins does your chip have?

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
Hey @debe, thanks for th input. I did look at that IC and figured if push comes to shove, I may have to go that route. I was hoping to find another TI IC that would replace it. Not even sure it is bad yet. Have to do some testing.
@jpanhalt, this is an 8 pin IC. When I have a minute, haha, I will reverse engineer a drawing for it.
Thanks guys for your help

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
@Ylli, thank you for the share. I wasn't looking to build a complete tachometer. I was looking for a datasheet for the TI IC that is in this one. It is a vintage Jaguar XJS V12 and was hoping to keep the same tach. I just want to repair it. As I said, I haven't even really looked at it yet. It may just be a bad cap. I wanted to see a datasheet to see how the circuit works. All good.

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
Thanks @narkeleptk, I had read this article the other day in my initial studies. A good outline but the MIC 2/C seems to be an illusive IC. I have some old books at work I am going to have a look through. As I said, it may not be the IC at all but until I check it out, no clue. Will keep you all posted.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
If you have enough space, you might be able to design a backpack/breakout board for one of the available chips to be pin compatible with the MIC 2/C. Of course, you may need to remove some of the passive components that are already in place, but at least to the driver, the tach will look the same.