I've filed my first patent application...

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
It hasn't been approved yet, that's a process that will take a while, of course. But I'm extremely happy because it's a dream that I've secretly had since childhood, and it has finally come true. :)

Anyway, I know that most patents never make a single penny and end up being lost into the bin of oblivion... but of course, I'm hoping this will not be the case. I've already found an investor, and we're both pretty optimistic about it all. If things go as planned, by the middle of next year we'll have a finished product, and will start production a few weeks after that. The idea in question is going to bring a lot of good for everyone if things work out the way I believe they will.

Wish me luck!

Last edited:

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
It hasn't been approved yet, that's a process that will take a while, of course. But I'm extremely happy because it's a dream that I've secretly had since childhood, and it has finally come true. :)

Anyway, I know that most patents never make a single penny and end up lost into the bin of oblivion... but of course, I'm hoping this will not be the case. I've already found an investor, and we're both pretty optimistic about it all. If things go as planned, by the middle of next year we'll have a finished product, and will start production a few weeks after that. The idea in question is going to bring a lot of good for everyone if things work out the way I believe they will.

Wish me luck!
Many good wishes. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

kv

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013

Anyway, I know that most patents never make a single penny and end up lost into the bin of oblivion... but of course, I'm hoping this will not be the case. I've already found an investor, and we're both pretty optimistic about it all. If things go as planned, by the middle of next year we'll have a finished product, and will start production a few weeks after that. The idea in question is going to bring a lot of good for everyone if things work out the way I believe they will.

Wish me luck!
Nice....Good luck!!

eT

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
An ex coworker and I were always coming up with these "million dollar" ideas. But never had the money to do anything with them. So we were going to write a book. Million dollar ideas. The ideas in the book are worth a million dollars. After that we were going to write the sequel A million DOLLAR idea. That book would have a million ideas but they were only worth a buck each

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
You are lucky you remember you ideas. I never remember mine and I come up with lots and never write them down. The one I remember was dirty tennis shoe strings. I did nothing with it. Two years later what do I see in the store? Yep. :(

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Congratulations!

Is your application a published U.S. patent application?

If so would you mind telling us the application number?

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Congratulations!

Is your application a published U.S. patent application?

If so would you mind telling us the application number?
The way it works is: you first file the application at the IMPI insitiute, which is the Mexican federal organization in charge of protecting intellectual property, and after that an international agreement gives you one year to file it in the American continent block, which covers every single country in the entire continent. After that, you have three years to file it in the European block. I'm not sure what the rules are exactly for the Middle East and Asian part of the world.

I promise I'll share the U.S. application number as soon as it's on file. In the meantime, it's best that I keep it under wraps.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
If it is is a published application, please share that with us.

I hope the Mexican patent system is faster than the American system. Some patents take many years to be accepted -not that the patent attorneys are complaining about all the extra work :)

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
The way it works is: you first file the application at the IMPI insitiute, which is the Mexican federal organization in charge of protecting intellectual property, and after that an international agreement gives you one year to file it in the American continent block, which covers every single country in the entire continent. After that, you have three years to file it in the European block. I'm not sure what the rules are exactly for the Middle East and Asian part of the world.

I promise I'll share the U.S. application number as soon as it's on file. In the meantime, it's best that I keep it under wraps.
I'm very out spoken about some of my ideas, some are genius but I personally don't wish to pursue them, so I just openly talk about the idea with others. Some have seen market potential others not so marketable. Failures are Lint and Leak detector, I made 50 prototypes, I also created a Calendar with tearable coupons on the back side of the month once that month has past it became advertising for my advertiser's.

I also created a co-op advertising book for start-up businesses, with peel and stick on the back of the book, the advertising inside included coupons added to business ad info, the back cover of the book was designed rapped around the outside of phone books, my marketing speech was that your business is no longer competing with large business ads, it's on top and in front of your customer. 2 flaws with it

First flaw, with emergence up and coming emergence of Web Advertising would eliminate the need for such a book, Second flaw, small business's cannot afford even small cost's during start up, so if you do good work, word of mouth is far more valuable as Advertising because large business unfortunately already owned at the time the inside of phone books, now we all know phone books are dead advertising.

It's good to know your market trends take advantage while you can, not waisting energy on them if it doesn't satisfy those things the consumer didn't know they needed, I marketed the calendar idea for 1 month I sold 60k books making only 3k in profit.

I dumped the idea in a red hot minute, learning the hard way to gain that experience. Great ideas are only great if the consumer see's value, doesn't matter what we think, it's what they think. I gave the idea to a local printing company and it's still being printed today, but I have no regrets because it wasn't something I wanted to pursue as a business, not enough skin in the game for me.

The reason I'm posting this is I have time off work and bored out of my mind, but I am working on designing a Card Game with my Granddaughters, I have no vain ideas if it's marketable or not.

For me it's the time with them, planning, engineering, marketing, investments of (time or eventually money) teaching them through experience, how to envision properly the full scope of such a venture, their only 14 but it's what I hope they will learn through the process which is more valuable to me than any success's or failures they will have. Having both would be great because they will see how much it will take to launch a Juggernaut concept.

Good luck again man:) I just wanted to tell you how insane I am :eek:

kv

Last edited:

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
If it is is a published application, please share that with us.

I hope the Mexican patent system is faster than the American system. Some patents take many years to be accepted -not that the patent attorneys are complaining about all the extra work :)
@ericgibbs turned me on to this site, it's a way of disclosure to others that there is a patent pending, protecting your intellectual property giving it time to get off the ground or fall flat. If it gets stolen, it means that it's a great idea and worth investing time and money in it.

http://www.researchdisclosure.com

kv

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I've always wanted a patent as well. Upon investigation into the process I lost most of my steam. Once I learned the real meaning of a patent and who it serves (large corporations) and who it doesn't (small guy inventors) I no longer had any logical reason to get one. But that doesn't change the fact I really want one. I feel like having one would allow me to legitimately call myself an "inventor." Not that I would go around introducing myself as such; just within my own head, I feel like it would mean a lot, just to me. But it would probably end up like every other scrap of paper I've framed; forgotten in a few months.

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Congratulations !
You are now surrounded in a high spirit optimism that will last a while until the process ends, just make sure it does not happen the same that happened to me.
By the second year of the ~3 wait, my patent lawyer died and I was not notified as nobody took over his office and documents; and later found 3M lawyers protesting that it was similar to one of their products. That was painful. But would had been impossible to fight $uch powerful goliath.

Another time by 1991, different application, interfaced a plain two-way amateur radio to a plain fax machine. Faded when internet/email showed up a couple of years later. Still have the design and working prototypes. I suppose is part of life progress...

Wish you the best.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
An ex coworker and I were always coming up with these "million dollar" ideas. But never had the money to do anything with them. So we were going to write a book. Million dollar ideas. The ideas in the book are worth a million dollars. After that we were going to write the sequel A million DOLLAR idea. That book would have a million ideas but they were only worth a buck each
Here is a submission for your book:
An app like Google's reverse image search, where instead of pictures, you upload sounds. Specifically, sounds that your car makes. It provides a likely diagnosis without having to go to the mechanic and make an embarrassing vocal reenactment of the sound you heard. No more "sometimes when I turn left it makes a sound like 'gr-gr-gr-wah-wah'gr...pop!"