Its Official

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I'll be heading to Sanford, NC to start a 4 month contract on the 7th of July. I'll be verifying the company's VHDL/Verilog code, implementing the FPGA's, writing operational software and integrating/bringing up their system. Mixed emotions as I have to leave my home and hit the road again:cool:

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
if you do a lot of moving around for short term contracts, how about getting a camper? most cities have some form of camper park, and it might be more calming to have familiar surroundings where you go.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I've been using a camper since last year when I was working in Orlando, Fl. It saves alot of money over living in a motel, and I hate living in motels. The campers can be very comfortable and I like staying in parks. I've met several people who are also contractors living in their campers. Here is my home away from home, a 39' Prowler.

Attachments

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I have a cheap motel room for two weeks, then I'll fly back and pull the camper back over the weekend. I've found a park that only charges $350/mo with all services included. Can't beat that!

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Its more than official ,its great...Loosewire lived in North Carolina. Lenior has a

Google plant or one of the big ones. Just think I got blood poison there from

damning up the creek to swim. Red line heading right to my heart. More......

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Hi loosewire,

It's about a 9 hour drive. I'm getting ready to leave in a couple minutes. My wire will be joining me in a few weeks.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Great point, Mr Chips. I looked over my electronics workbench to try and decide what to bring. There just isn't enough room for very much where I'll be living. In the end, I just grabbed my laptop and my home-made PIC board, some USB and serial cables. In a couple weeks, I'll return to get my trailer and pull it back. When I do, I'm also going to grab my linux system. It's a mother board on standoffs with a power supply and some drives plugged in. Nothing is in an enclosure. I have a Xilinx dev system plugged into the PCIe slot, which is why I don't have it in an enclosure. I won't be able to bring much of anything else, but I do plan on getting a Bitscope to play with.

My wife will join me once her business is finished here, probably in about a month.