Its a small world (cliche I know)

ke5nnt

Joined Mar 1, 2009
Its funny how in a world with so many people, it can still end up being such a small world.

Yesterday I went down to my favorite local electronics supply store to do some shopping for project parts when I strike up a conversation with someone in the same isle as me. After a moment this person starts to look real familiar, "where have I seen this guy before?"

Then it hits me, It's AAC's own Bill Marsden! I recognized him from his profile photo. What are the chances?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
At Tanner's Electronics? Pretty darn good. :D It's better than a candy store for me.

I went and checked a new (to me) store called AlTex. Not to much in the way of semiconductors, very nice on other descrete parts, semiconductors, and computer gear.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
We have enough users here it was bound to happen. I notice Wookie has his share of neighbors, but he doesn't have his picture up, so who would know?

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Its funny how in a world with so many people, it can still end up being such a small world.

Yesterday I went down to my favorite local electronics supply store to do some shopping for project parts when I strike up a conversation with someone in the same isle as me. After a moment this person starts to look real familiar, "where have I seen this guy before?"

Then it hits me, It's AAC's own Bill Marsden! I recognized him from his profile photo. What are the chances?
Ha! That is pretty incredible! :D

Would be interesting to know if anyone else has met another member in person. I can go on record and say I haven't...yet!

Dave

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

For me it will not happen so soon.
I live in amsterdam.
I do not think many members live in holland.
Most members are abroad to me.

Greetings,
Bertus

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
How many folks in Holland speak fluent english? That's bound to make a difference.

Wish everyone could have a store like Tanner's. Their not perfect, but they have a huge assortment of everything component wise, plus tools and kits. Even have a large selection of speakers big and small in all price ranges. It is a family operated store ), with about 7 or so family members working there (most of the last names are Tanner, with a brother in law on the side), so hopefully it will be around for a while.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Bill,

I'm retired. My better half's son and his family is down there, so we will be closer to them. He's Dallas PD.

I do work part time, for HR Block, so I will have something to do to escape cabin fever (although I doubt that exists in that area) and keep my one brain cell working. :)

I will be looking for some spots to hunt. One person who worked for me when I was in OK, resides up in Sallisaw. Fishing will be on the summer agenda.

Nanophotonics

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Sadly, I don't see many electronic hobbists in the UK. From my observation, most university electronic departments are filled with overseas students of which approx. 50%+ are chinese. Few most popular stores are probably RS, farnell and Rapid Electronics, and I purchase online.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Sadly, I don't see many electronic hobbists in the UK.
That's actually a true observation. I would be hard-pressed to name one person I know in the UK who I could say is a hobbyist of the sorts of people we know on here. Obviously we do have some UK-based hobbyists here on AAC.

Dave

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I've noticed that locally too. I suspect computers and programming take a lot of the same mindset, and overall (once you have the computer) they are cheaper too. Long before I could buy one I wanted to build a computer. I knew there was something about them I would like, though at the time I didn't have enough information to tell you why. I bought a TRS80 as soon as they became available, and the time I spent doing hobbiest work suffered, though I was working as a professional tech at the time. Back then there were many electronics parts outlets, I passed 2 or so just on the way home from work. Now I drive 25 miles to get to Tanner's and feel lucky to have one so close.