Is using a microcontroller doable?

GN-z11

Joined Jun 19, 2017
Please excuse me if I am in the wrong place for this. I'm just wondering if using a microcontroller for a machine I am making--similar in simplicity to a typical assembly-line component that carries out a basic, repetitive function--for my company is doable despite a much larger voltage supply required for the external, mechanical components (swiveling arms at the tips of each hose to move a sheet a paper from one location to another; strong vacuum suction in 20-30 hoses from a common vacuum source, etc.) relative to the much lesser power supply required for the internal workings of a microcontroller. Do people use microcontrollers for a low voltage supply for the microcontroller's internal workings itself, and a high voltage supply to mechanical components external to the microcontroller, the voltage supply of which possibly from different sources? The machine will need to receive data from a computer via IoT, which it manipulates to determine the number of times to carry out a set of physical rotations of the heavy, main shaft on top a rotor, as well as the arms at the tips of each hose.

From my understanding, the deciding factor between using microcontrollers and microprocessors is the /internal/ power supply of the device required for execution of internal code/tasks, and not the power supply required beyond it. This can be achieved through a mere flick of a circuit switch to enable or disable the larger voltage supply that the microcontroller cannot provide. And so the harmony is reached where little computing power from the microcontroller is needed to power the heavy and voltage-hungry mechanical components beyond it. Is this understanding correct? Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Yes, it's very common to have a low voltage supply for the microcontroller and any associated circuits which then control high power drivers operating at a higher voltage to control external machine function.
These drivers can control either AC line voltage or DC from a supply, as needed by the machines.

This is commonly done in manufacturing with a Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) system.
Here are some examples of PLCs.

Last edited:

GN-z11

Joined Jun 19, 2017
crutschow, I just want to extends my thanks to you personally.

For the past year I have been immersed in the concept of microprocessors for this project, devouring over 5 hefty books on the topic. I've wasted some, but not all, of this time on a device I won't even be using. PLC is /exactly/ what I was looking for. You've guided me in the right direction.

Manliness aside, if I could hug you, I would.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
entire factories can be controlled with a 3 volt processor. many new processors only use 1 volt. and these systems will not only preform repetitive heavy work..........these devices will be doing skilled work. it's a whole new ball game.

GN-z11

Joined Jun 19, 2017
I'm trying to wrap my head around how an entire factory can be controlled with a 3 volt processor (even a controller?). Surely, the processor is not supplying these 3 volts to the factory components to make them work, correct? If it uses switches to enable and disable these components from an external voltage supply, then I understand and will probably be using PLCs like crut has suggested.

Last edited:

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
no.....not 3 volts for factory.....for the processor. an I/O interface allows the processor to pour steel from a ladle.
a PLC is just a component. they have a limited processor and limited I/O. there can still be many more I/O steps.....both mechanical and electrical......before the final function or action. one can not just plug everything into a PLC.
you can network all the PLCs together to a larger processor. and you can get Amazon run by robots.

And PLCs are most industries standards.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I'm trying to wrap my head around how an entire factory can be controlled with a 3 volt processor (even a controller?). Surely, the processor is not supplying these 3 volts to the factory components to make them work, correct? If it uses switches to enable and disable these components from an external voltage supply, then I understand and will probably be using PLCs like crut has suggested.
Yes, the 3V (or often 5V) signals are used to control relays (mechanical and solid-state) which can switch large amounts of power, ultimately limited only by what the building AC mains can supply.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I'm just wondering if using a microcontroller for a machine I am making--similar in simplicity to a typical assembly-line component that carries out a basic, repetitive functionvoltage supply to The machine will need to receive data from a computer via IoT, .
I agree with the Industrial strength answer using a PLC where I/O is already conditioned, also it makes maintenance/trouble shooting much easier due to real time monitoring of all functions.
If communication with other systems is required it can be done with serial Modbus or other formats.
Max.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
evidently.........a processor......can navigate a cargo ship(autopilot) thru some of the busiest shipping lanes in the world. While the whole crew is asleep.

seems to be common practice now. manual navigation is probably only done by harbor pilots.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
One other advantage to the PLC, especially in an Industrial environment, a system or machine can easily be trouble shot by ordinary maintenance personnel used to using hard copy ladder style schematics.
Very important in assembly line equipment.
In fact this is the very reason that GM had Dick Morley come up with the original.;)
Max.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
evidently.........a processor......can navigate a cargo ship(autopilot) thru some of the busiest shipping lanes in the world. While the whole crew is asleep.

seems to be common practice now. manual navigation is probably only done by harbor pilots.
Autopilot, able to steer following a given course, allowing for adjustable sea conditions, predates micros.

I am not sure of all my colleagues but I suspect that in very heavy weather, hand steering is still the choice. Harbourt pilots just give instructions; hand steering is actually done by helmsmen (with few exceptions, part of ship's crew).

Auto pilot or not, there is always people in the bridge.

Last edited:

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
I have read in at least one source that the first PID loop development came out of autopilot application on a ship.
Max.
I vaguely recall reading the same...

Normal precaution to minimize "hunting" after switching on was putting first the vessel as much as possible in the right course. Later, you adjusted "yawing" based on the vessel's response to trim and sea condition.

The first I ever met in a freighter was an Anschütz one, integrated with the gyro compass of the same brand, plus repeaters on the wings, in the wheel house, used for the actual steering, completed with one more in the rudder control room for emergency steering.

Google for m. v. Baxtergate, later renamed Marvaliente ca 1968 (??).

Relay clicking was part of the sonic landscape when underway. The gyro and the autopilot was an electromechanical marvel that amazed me only surpassed by the Loadicator when I learnt what it was!

How old I feel today!