Is this video legit?

MCH170

Joined May 13, 2021
Hi, I don't know much about electronics but I need a dc-dc voltage booster and ordering one online is not an option. This is the easiest I could find on YouTube but I have some doubts if its going to work. Can someone please confirm it for me? Thanks in advance.

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
It's legit in that its a simple unregulated boost converter but whether it'll work for your needs its unknown. Chances are it'll either not deliver the voltage/current needed or, worse, will fry your equipment.

Why not say, in detail, what you need to do, what you have available and why ordering online isn't an option.... and just maybe we can help...

MCH170

Joined May 13, 2021
It's legit in that its a simple unregulated boost converter but whether it'll work for your needs its unknown. Chances are it'll either not deliver the voltage/current needed or, worse, will fry your equipment.

Why not say, in detail, what you need to do, what you have available and why ordering online isn't an option.... and just maybe we can help...
Thanks for you reply. I am looking to build a small continuous electric arc (a DIY electric arc lighter), powered by 2 AA batteries in series.

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
Thanks for you reply. I am looking to build a small continuous electric arc (a DIY electric arc lighter), powered by 2 AA batteries in series.
As in a gas-lighter
1620903329134.png

You're going to need considerably higher voltage output than that boost converter, though the technique is similar. Breakdowj voltage of ar is approx 30kV/cm!

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
That'll probably work if you can find the bits...the transformer might be hard to find. But if you can buy them online from AliExpress you could just buy a ready-made one probably cheaper!

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
This is the easiest I could find on YouTube but I have some doubts if its going to work.
I rarely watch YouTube videos for electronics. They're mostly a waste of time and are just trying to get you to watch long enough to monetize your time.

Post a schematic if you want more people to consider your question.

I don't know much about electronics but I need a dc-dc voltage booster and ordering one online is not an option.
But, you're in my questionable category. You don't know much about electronics and want to build something that could be used for nefarious purposes.

MCH170

Joined May 13, 2021
I rarely watch YouTube videos for electronics. They're mostly a waste of time and are just trying to get you to watch long enough to monetize your time.

Post a schematic if you want more people to consider your question.

But, you're in my questionable category. You don't know much about electronics and want to build something that could be used for nefarious purposes.
I have build a lot of simple circuits before but I don't know much about inductors so I asked. I don't have a schematic yet.