is this meter implementable?

cczone

Joined Dec 17, 2008
Guys, i am glad to find a watt meter circuit for me to implement.
The voltage range supported is 3.6 to 25V.
Current: 0 ~ 51 Amps
Power: 0 ~ 999 Watts
I am quite doubtful on the range specified, it is such a huge range!
Besides this circuit and the provided HEX file for the PIC, nothing else is being explained.
I am curious about the switches included. What is the functions actually?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
OSC1 is also PortA7 = blades; PortB6(RB6) = pages; and PortB7(RB7) = hold

At least, those are the assignments from the Assembly code. I have no idea what they do, but assume the blades has something to do with setting the number of blades the device has. Is this for a windmill?

John

cczone

Joined Dec 17, 2008
OSC1 is also PortA7 = blades; PortB6(RB6) = pages; and PortB7(RB7) = hold

At least, those are the assignments from the Assembly code. I have no idea what they do, but assume the blades has something to do with setting the number of blades the device has. Is this for a windmill?

John
Windmill? It states there is a watt meter...
not sure about the blade also..
but thanks for ur reply...

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I am not sure what it is for. Apparently, it has RPM as an input or output and senses blade passing. Thus, I figured it might be used to estimate watts output from a wind mill or watts from an electric aircraft/boat motor. The clue is the propellor rpm, which is probably calculated and can be displayed on the LCD. John

cczone

Joined Dec 17, 2008
I am not sure what it is for. Apparently, it has RPM as an input or output and senses blade passing. Thus, I figured it might be used to estimate watts output from a wind mill or watts from an electric aircraft/boat motor. The clue is the propellor rpm, which is probably calculated and can be displayed on the LCD. John
So basically port RB0 is something to deal with frequency.
Seems like it has vast difference with what i need to implement...
Can I make it disabled or ground it?

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
As jpanhalt has already told you, the blade button is to set the number of blades in software so that the software can calculate the correct rpm.

The hold button is to hold the LCD display so it is not updating and the page button is to select which two display pages to show on the LCD.

Page1 will show: V,A,Watt and AH
Page2 will show: V,A,RPM and blade number

This is obviously a windmill generator output data logger for use with a windmill.

If you have more questions, why don't you just email the author and ask him. I'm supposing he will be happy to answer them and give additional guidelines for building the project too.

cczone

Joined Dec 17, 2008
As jpanhalt has already told you, the blade button is to set the number of blades in software so that the software can calculate the correct rpm.

The hold button is to hold the LCD display so it is not updating and the page button is to select which two display pages to show on the LCD.

Page1 will show: V,A,Watt and AH
Page2 will show: V,A,RPM and blade number

This is obviously a windmill generator output data logger for use with a windmill.

If you have more questions, why don't you just email the author and ask him. I'm supposing he will be happy to answer them and give additional guidelines for building the project too.
Well, much thanks for your guidance and advice..:)