Is this component a diode?

dreaddead76

Joined Oct 31, 2019
What is it?? Hi all, I'm new to the forum, I think it is a diode. Can anyone tell me what it is and size? There are no markings on it.

Img_1658.jpg

Moderator Edit: Moved title to post and changed title.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Welcome to AAC!

1) Keep your title descriptive but short. A better title would be "Is this component a diode?"
The rest of your title goes into the body of the post.

2) Your attachment gives
Error 404
The page you requested was not found

Moderator Edit: Attachment now visible.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
You ought to check it as it might not be defective.

What are the physical dimensions? Maybe somebody can take a guess at the current rating.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
They come in a variety of packages. When I see a cylindrical package, I think of the DO-213 package. There may be others that are also cylindrical like that.

dreaddead76

Joined Oct 31, 2019
You ought to check it as it might not be defective.

What are the physical dimensions? Maybe somebody can take a guess at the current rating.
i checked the diode with a meter and it reads open. i do have another working board with the same components that is powered up. The voltage on one side it 120vac and on the other is 66vac. Does that help to determine the size?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
i checked the diode with a meter and it reads open. i do have another working board with the same components that is powered up. The voltage on one side it 120vac and on the other is 66vac. Does that help to determine the size?
Actually, as a half wave rectifier those values are about right for AC vs. half-wave rectified AC (pulsed DC). If you put a known good diode in series with your meter's lead, the 120 VAC should read about 66 and depending on the orientation, the "66VAC" should read very low or about the same.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
That's great! It tells us a lot about the diode. For one thing, it probably needs to have a PIV spec. of more than a couple hundred volts and is probably not a high speed diode. Something like the 1N4004 might work, but we are not sure about the package.

dreaddead76

Joined Oct 31, 2019
Thanks, for all the help, i'm going to try the 1n4004 with SMD package. The board is trash if it doesn't work anyway so, its worth the try. Thanks again.