Is there such a place ??

tony8404

Joined Jun 11, 2008
My last post did not do to well since i did not get right to the point, I kinda rambled and lost my train of thought.

I understand most of the baiscs of electricity, so now I want to start to see what different jobs are in the fields of electrical and electronics... Yet i cannot seem to find anything yet. Since i have the basics down I want to find my niche and want to start reading the descriptions of the different jobs in the field to see which i may like enough to pick as a career.

I have gone to monsterjobs and careerbuilder to see if they have a section that describes the different jobs in the electrical/electronic field but i cannot find anything. i have tried google as well.

Anyone out there that knows of a place i can do some research on the different jobs in the field???? thanks

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Let me state something unequivocally. The H.R. department of a company is the VERY LAST PLACE ON EARTH you want to look for technical jobs. They are clueless about the requirements of engineering departments. You need to bypass all that and get in contact with a real engineer.

I'd get some trade magazines like Microwaves & R.F., Design World, Electronics Design, and look for something that really interests you.

Look especially for small start-up companies. Analog and R.F. engineers are in EXCEEDINGLY short supply, and not just in the communications industries. Industrial testing, calibration labs, manufacturiing, process engineering....all need analog AND digital engineers.

Do you have any refineries near you? Any factories? Check out broadcast stations as well.

Eric

tony8404

Joined Jun 11, 2008
Yes i totally agree with you about going to the H.R. dept they know nothing but the procedures of the company and rules/laws... My father is a retired engineer, this is one of the reasons i am getting into electricity. when i was a kid i watched him work, i remember copying everything off of him, everything he did or at least up to the point i could not see lol..

I ask my dad about the field, mainly about the jobs and you have to understand something the man is a perfectionist, has no patience. So in other words, unless you can speak the language dont bother asking cause he gets fustrated. When growing up my mom would always tell me your father thinks you are just as smart as he is. lol sorry but its not true apparently alot of my mom rubbed off on me lol.

So when i started off into electricity it was hard for me to ask the simplest questions. He kinda acted like you do not know that yet, you should and until you do dont go farther nor ask until you get it. Though this saturday we spent 2 plus hours on questions i had about sine waves and inductance. Now he sees that i can kinda talk to him in his language and now is more then willing to sit with me on the weekends for hours if needed.
anyways thats here nor there. He tells me when i ask about jobs that i have to find out what i like. but then i say i do not know what jobs there is out there for electricity or what not... i know engineering is or technician stuff, i also know there is instrumental stuff, testing ect.. but i want to find info on these parts of the field to see if it is me or not...

When you said Analog and R.F. engineers are in EXCEEDINGLY short supply, and not just in the communications industries.
Did you mean there is a demand for these positions or that hardly any are needed anymore? i bet you meant there needed... i may look into those...

Does anyone know of a website that kind of breaks down the different positions/jobs with descriptions out there?

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Did you mean there is a demand for these positions or that hardly any are needed anymore? i bet you meant there needed... i may look into those...

Does anyone know of a website that kind of breaks down the different positions/jobs with descriptions out there?[/quote]

That means that they're in incredibly high demand.

tony8404

Joined Jun 11, 2008
If i did not become a full fledged Analog and R.F. engineer... is there a technician level for those positions or is it just engineers in analog and R.F. in high demand and not the techs
?

tony8404

Joined Jun 11, 2008
bbeltran, that is very interesting... I did not even think about that nor would i have... This is exactly what i was hoping would happen by posting here. So does anyone else think this is promising or is it too early to tell?

bbeltran, when you said "visit http://www.solarenergy.org/ and research wind energy" did you mean research wind energy on there website or google?

thanks