Is there an industry identifier standard for electronic components?

John Czerwinski

Joined Jun 19, 2017

For example; is there an base identifier that's standard which manufacturers/resellers follow to identify a Metal Film Resistor, Axial, 15K Ohms, +1% tolerance, 1/4 Watts. I see this for 7400 series IC, where 74LS00 is a standard NAND gate. Each manufacturer would add their particual ID and package type to it.

Reason I'm asking is to catalog parts lists from a few older electronic devices to identify common used components. I would then know the optimal parts to stock up on.

Thanks!

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006

For example; is there an base identifier that's standard which manufacturers/resellers follow to identify a Metal Film Resistor, Axial, 15K Ohms, +1% tolerance, 1/4 Watts. I see this for 7400 series IC, where 74LS00 is a standard NAND gate. Each manufacturer would add their particual ID and package type to it.

Reason I'm asking is to catalog parts lists from a few older electronic devices to identify common used components. I would then know the optimal parts to stock up on.

Thanks!
In short no -- it is a pipe dream. You have to approach component selection the old fashioned way and that is one at a time. As for stocking up I would advise against that. I ended up recycling hundreds of pounds of components when I ran out of space for them as I downsized in retirement.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
For example; is there an base identifier that's standard which manufacturers/resellers follow to identify a Metal Film Resistor, Axial, 15K Ohms, +1% tolerance, 1/4 Watts.
Not for resistors. There's no room on the component and no one really cares what the brand is.

I wouldn't go crazy stocking up on "optimal" parts. When I use parts, I typically order in quantity 100 to get a price break. So I've built up stock of parts that I actually use.

John Czerwinski

Joined Jun 19, 2017
Thank you for the replies! To expand on my original question, and it's more to organize my lab and wrap my head around these components, are there any other characteristics that are important to note per component type besides the ones below?

Resistors
- Type (carbon, metal film, etc)
- Resistance in ohms
- Tolerance
- Wattage

Capacitors
- Type (ceramic, electrolytic, tantalum, etc)
- capacitance
- Tolerance
- Working voltage

Inductors
- Core type (Air, etc)
- Inductance (in uH)
- Tolerance
- Wattage

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
You hit on the most important specs.

Regarding storage.

I store many values of resistors in the same drawer with a row for values starting with 1, 2, 3, etc; and columns for different decades.
resistorBin (1).jpg
When I first started out and didn't have a lot of resistors, I used coin envelopes in a shallow box.

Through hole caps are generally large enough to have the value, voltage, and tolerance marked on them. Smaller caps, such as axial ceramic, have a code that's in the manufacturer datasheet. I don't use many values, so the cabinet for them is on a shelf in the garage.

ICs are stored in boxes in the original rails.

I leave SMT resistors, caps, etc on the reels.

Parts that I use frequently are stored in small divided plastic boxes that originally contained beads for my Wife's bead work.