Is there a way to program a PIC while on board?

spikespiegelbebop

Joined Nov 30, 2021
In this case the PIC16F15313-E/RF. I'm asking this because I want to order the parts assembly, but the company said they won't program the PIC, but the PIC16F15313-E/RF is pretty hard for me to find it anywhere else, since I'm not in the US and I only want one or two of it, it's one per prototype.

1658794636431.png

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Search Microchip for ICSP, which stands for In Circuit Serial Programming.

It is fairly common to do this, just needs 2 pins (data and clock) (sometimes MCLR too). Even the baseline PICKITs an do this.

spikespiegelbebop

Joined Nov 30, 2021
Sorry for the double post, but I suddenly had the urge to check something out. Why do one shows EPAD on pin 9 and the other shows VSS since it's the same component?

1658799654584.png

1658799751995.png

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
Here are a couple of Google search results.....
Microchip_Curiosity.jpg
On your board, add the programming holes a little offset like this example. That allows header pins to be pushed in and get a good connection without soldering.
1658802117501.png

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
The kind of IC package is irrelevant, largely.
I use DIP, PLCC and QFP packages but the programming header is the same.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
As page 444 of the data sheet https://download.datasheets.com/pdfs/2017/7/16/1/20/6/21/mcp_/manual/576040001897a.pdf shows...
5 pins are needed for in circuit programming.
The one shown in post #6 is a standard that will directly mate with the PICKit programmer.
But if you want to use a different connection, that is fine.
You asked "Is there a way to program a PIC while on board?"
And the answer is yes! And you have been told that.
I do not know what your problem is. The PIC package you want to use does not does not change that.
Just include a connector of your choice on the PCB, and have it connected as per the data sheet, then used a suitable cable to your programmer and all is well.

Jon Chandler

Joined Jun 12, 2008
Is it possible to do this by using a raspberry pi?
It may be possible, but your best bet would be a PICkit 3 clone purchased on eBay used with the GUI (Graphical User Interface).

Sorry for the double post, but I suddenly had the urge to check something out. Why do one shows EPAD on pin 9 and the other shows VSS since it's the same component.
"Pin 9" is the central 'power pad' on small-package chips. It's there to provide heat-sinking to the chip. Most often but not always, these are connected to Vss, along with one or more of the regular pins on the chip. If there are multiple Vss or Vcc pins on a chip, usually all of them need to be connected together on the circuit board – they usually aren't optional connection points for your convenience.

You should become familiar with the datasheets for the parts you use, particularly the pinouts and the pin descriptions. The datasheet will tell you what needs to be connected where (like the power pad) and functions/limitations of each pin. Do be aware that pinouts on different-size packages may not be the same. Make sure you're looking at the pinout of the exact package you're using.