Is superglue on a PCB harmful in any way?

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
I need to glue to a PCB and hotmelt may cause damage by the heat. If I can use superglue that would be great as it would be quick but is it going to cause any problems for the copper tracks?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I need to glue to a PCB and hotmelt may cause damage by the heat. If I can use superglue that would be great as it would be quick but is it going to cause any problems for the copper tracks?
Cyanoacrylates are commonly used on PCBs to tack bodge wires, and the like. The only possible issue is for contacts which can be coated by vaporized glue if it gets hot before thoroughly cured and that's easy to avoid.

You shouldn't have any problem at all. Just be very careful, a very little goes a long way.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I use the Mitreapel system as well as the Loctite. Using an accelerator makes instant adhesive actually instant and much more effective.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
The trouble is, I buy something for a job then don't use it again for a long time. When I come back to it is has set solid,

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
The trouble is, I buy something for a job then don't use it again for a long time. When I come back to it is has set solid,
Yes, that can be a problem. Small quantities and careful storage helps. I also put the date I receive stuff on it so I have some idea how fast I am using it. The accelerators work with any instant cyanoacrylate cement and last indefinitely, you can by those little one-time use packages of the glue and get good results.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Superglue for both construction and repair on a PCB works very well. The only problem is if soldering next to it the smoke is really nasty.Probably quite toxic. So keep the hot iron away from the superglue.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Super glue is also slightly conductive, at least at around 80 to 100volts. At work we used to super glue stacks of surface ground metal(surface grinding makes a very smooth surface) to do more than one part at a time in a wire EDM machine. Wire EDM uses a charged moving wire to "cut" metal into very intricate and dimensional precise shapes, as needed. Precise to around 0.0001 inch or less.