Is it resistors I need? Diodes? If so, what type??

adam763

Joined Feb 27, 2014
Hi there,

After scouring the forum for what seems hours and hours, I'm still no closer to finding the exact answer I'm looking for...
Here's my dilemma:

I'm running a 12volt supply to activate a solenoid. Within the initial wiring I have a push button switch (obviously to allow me to activate the solenoid).
In tandem with the solenoid I have a relay. Why? Because as I activate the switch, the solenoid activates and so does the relay. In turn, the relay then completes a switch to a PC keyboard encoder (if you're not sure what one of these are, it doesn't matter, because I simply need to know...>>)
The keyboard encoder requires/requests NO voltage. It simply needs the connection complete (as what a standard button would do). This is why I thought the relay would be ideal. Unfortunately, I've since found that current flowing through a relay coil creates a magnetic field which collapses suddenly when the current is switched off. The sudden collapse of the magnetic field induces a brief high voltage across the relay coil which knocks out my keyboard encoder.

So guys, what do I need to implement into my design to ensure the relay doesn't send any voltage through it's COM/NC connections? A diode? A resistor? And what type and where would it go to protect my encoder?

I've tried to find the answer for AGES, so all help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

adam763

Joined Feb 27, 2014
Thank you #12, that's very helpful.

Can I just ask, is there a particular diode I should look for? Your image shows a 5v diode, will this guarantee absolutely no high voltage 'leaks' to my encoder?

Thanks again.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The diode isn't 5 volts, the power supply is. A 1N4001 through 1N4007 diode will work in this position.

And, no, this isn't a guarantee. The fact that you are using a push button and have not provided a schematic means I am guessing. I am guessing that you will need an electrolytic capacitor on the power line AFTER the push button to keep voltage spikes absorbed.

Can you post a drawing?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Something like this. If the first drawing doesn't work, try the second one, or use 2 diodes and snuggle them up real close to the coils.

Attachments

adam763

Joined Feb 27, 2014
The diode isn't 5 volts, the power supply is. A 1N4001 through 1N4007 diode will work in this position.

And, no, this isn't a guarantee. The fact that you are using a push button and have not provided a schematic means I am guessing. I am guessing that you will need an electrolytic capacitor on the power line AFTER the push button to keep voltage spikes absorbed.

Can you post a drawing?

Attachments

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Or this....

Theoretically, all of these will work except there is inductance in wires, so physical placement counts. Actually, theory says the relay isolates the Encoder and you're not having this problem. So much for theory!

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
One down side to the diode is that it delays the drop out time of the relay, for small inductive devices, it is not really a problem, unless it operates a pulse dispensing valve or very large inductive device such as a brake/clutch etc, where the delay is perceptible.
Max.