Is it Possible to achieve something like this using a Raspberry pi??

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
Have you done any research yourself yet? What have you found? We will answer your technical questions to the best of our ability but we are not a free design consulting service.

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
In my opinion:
The "home energy monitor" monitors current in only two places. It is relative smart and knows if the power usage goes up by 100W then a light went on. It is smart to know Oven is big power.
I got 20 little 20A current monitors and plan to have one on each breaker. Now I can monitor (more or less) each room. If bathroom1 power changes by "x" watts = light, 15W=fan, 750/1000/1500=hair dryer.

I wish I had a way of monitoring the freezer not pulling power for a hole day! Or the heater on 100% because someone left a door open.

Link1 Many people are using these and a Arduino computer.
Link2 I am using what looks like this but 30A and 100A versions.

Search "Arduino current measure" there are many examples.

The Pi is a good choice.

Ethical23

Joined Nov 21, 2021
In my opinion:
The "home energy monitor" monitors current in only two places. It is relative smart and knows if the power usage goes up by 100W then a light went on. It is smart to know Oven is big power.
I got 20 little 20A current monitors and plan to have one on each breaker. Now I can monitor (more or less) each room. If bathroom1 power changes by "x" watts = light, 15W=fan, 750/1000/1500=hair dryer.

I wish I had a way of monitoring the freezer not pulling power for a hole day! Or the heater on 100% because someone left a door open.

Link1 Many people are using these and a Arduino computer.
Link2 I am using what looks like this but 30A and 100A versions.

Search "Arduino current measure" there are many examples.

The Pi is a good choice.
Hello Thanks for your answer, i found this other project that i want to share with you, in case someone need it:

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
Wow that is real nice.
The program looks like NodeRed which I know a little about. I have some NodeRed "IOT" working, logging data and responding to my phone and PC.
I was not able to get the schematic but looks simple.

Lo_volt

Joined Apr 3, 2014
The Raspberry Pi is quite capable of logging current probes. There's a group out of the UK that has developed a open source system to do so. See: https://openenergymonitor.org

The Sense is unique because it uses only 2 current probes, one on each leg of the incoming 240 volts, and identifies specific devices by the current consumption and timing. It matches known patterns of power usage to specific devices, lamps, refrigerators, pumps, etc. That's the hard part about recreating what Sense has done.

Jon Chandler

Joined Jun 12, 2008
I played around with a couple amp clamps on the 120VAC feeders (US system 120–0–120). I was surprised what could be seen from 2 sensors.

Heaters (240VAC) could be seen operating when there was a step load on both 120VAC lines.

Refrigerator operation was shown by regular steps in load on one line (think square wave as it cycled on and off).

Major intermittent loads could be identified by with 120VAC line was loaded and magnitude.

Sadly, other things got in the way of any developments with this.