Iron Dome in action

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
LOL I saw a pic of a guy launching his improvised aerial delivery incendiary device, a bunch of hydrogen party balloons with a small payload. Trying to shoot them down kinda like trying to swat a gnat with an ICBM.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Last edited:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
The economic asymmetry is breathtaking!

Probably a ratio of 1,000,000 : 1 in expenditure in that one clip alone.
Worth every penny to see the precision hit on that high-rise.

One Qassam rocket: $1000 bucks.
One air strike on a building: $1,000,000 bucks
Watching that building drop: Priceless.

Last edited:

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
I find it interesting, that the intercepting rockets seem to be launched in general direction, then perform very tight turns to intercept.

At that speed, its an impressive G force.

Out of interest,
any one got links to what the different hammas rockets look like , info on them ?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
The medium-range projectiles are political tactics, not military ones. They force the 'evil' other side to use modern military grade weapons as a backdrop to X political cause civilians being caught in the cross-fire.

https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/para/hamas-qassam.htm

AP_19124662681148_1.jpg
https://www.israeldefense.co.il/en/node/38554
The question once again arises regarding the cost of a single Iron Dome interceptor (about $50,000, according to some sources) compared to the insignificant cost of each rocket.

The senior source at Rafael said that "the question of the economic worthwhileness of the Iron Dome system was decided long ago. The actual 'value' of each interception is not determined by the cost of the rocket, but rather by the cost we would have paid if we did not have a defense system. Beyond the human lives saved, which are priceless, even with regard to this round it is easy to imagine the damage that would have been sustained if life in the central region of the country had been paralyzed because of concerns regarding rocket attacks. Even Ben-Gurion international airport might have been closed down, so the benefit exceeds the costs several times over."

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://www.jpost.com/israel-news/i...massive-aerial-assault-on-hamass-metro-668182

Did IDF deception lead to massive aerial assault
According to reports, due to the deployment along the border and the news coming out in the foreign media of a ground incursion, Hamas and Islamic Jihad sent their first-line of defense into the tunnels to start taking up positions. These were the anti-tank missile teams and mortar squads meant to strike at incoming Israeli ground forces.

What these Hamas operatives did not know was that there was no ground offensive. Instead, once they were out of the tunnels, they were exposed to Israeli aircraft. Within minutes, the “Metro” attack went ahead. This led to speculation that the tweet about the ground incursion was intentional and made to get Hamas to believe it was safe to enter the tunnels.

visionofast

Joined Oct 17, 2018
I guess it would be useless though, if a cluster missle splits in middle of the air or a high speed rocket happens.
having upper hand in equipments dosn't always guarantee the success::D

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I guess it would be useless though, if a cluster missle splits in middle of the air or a high speed rocket happens.
having upper hand in equipments dosn't always guarantee the success::D
Success in this case is a reduction of risk to an acceptable level. That's much easier to achieve with defenses than a offensive victory using advanced weapons.

Last edited: