IR2110 full H Bridge IGBT - 40Khz

Thread Starter

franz52

Joined Oct 30, 2010
3
Hi,

I build a full H bridge inverter at 40Khz starting from a same project at 25Khz.
The output stage use IGBT IXGH20N60BD1 with fast reverse diode.
Logical PWM signal comming from a CPLD controller.
IGBT driver is a double IR2110.
Main bridge voltage is 350 Vdc (from 220Vac line)
Out power is 1.5 Kw

The problem is on hi-side driver on IR2110 that create a cross-switch problem. It's really a strange problem and I really don't understand.

With CPLD controller I have a large cross conduction delay (5 uS) to be sure about t-on and t-off delay of IGBT (isn't so fast devices..) but when I check the output signal on the gates and I see:

- HI-SIDE=1 / LO-SIDE=0 -> at the end of the ON time of HI-SIDE, the gate signal goes low but sometimes it turns on itself (it's not seem an oscllation but an high fixed signal). When the LO-SIDE become ON, the HI-SIDE gate goes low but cross-conduction increase.

- HI-SIDE=0 / LO-SIDE=1 -> at the end of the ON time of LO-SIDE, sometimes the gate signal of the HI-SIDE goes ON itself, before the real on signal from the controller. This "false" on state can be as long as cross-delay (so the on pulse will be add to the real ON period) or shorter and I see as pulse on the output stage of the inverter. This add noise, cross.conduction and so on.

To debug the system, I try with a low main voltage ( 50/60 Vdc) and a fix duty cycle to be sure about bootstrap capacitor charge but the effect is absolutely the same !

--- Have you same ideas about ?

Thanks to all in advance

Francesco
 

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
10,049
What voltage are you using to pins, Hin/Lin? The same 3.3V you have on pin SD?
The way I understand the ir2110 you need at least 5V to turn those three pin on.
 

Thread Starter

franz52

Joined Oct 30, 2010
3
Logical supply voltage can be down to 3 V (minimum value from data sheet).
This value can be used, I'm sure. This circuit, in this configuration, is working good at 25Khz.
I think that at this higher frequency (not so high !!), IGBT start to go in auto-conduction but the strange effect is that I see the signal just on pin of IR (serial gate resistor is low - 10 ohm - but, looking at the level, seems to that the signal is comming from IR and not from the gate). This happen even if I decrease the main bridge voltage at 40 Vcc.

If you need more information, don't esitate.
Thanks for your attention

Francesco
 

mehmetes

Joined Dec 1, 2013
1
Hi Francesco,

I know it has been long time (almost 4 years:), but I have a problem which is identical to yours at here. It is a very critical issue on my thesis, I have to fix it as soon as possible. Do you remember what was the root cause of that problem and how did you fix it?

I am looking forward to your relpy.

Thank you
Mehmet
 

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
2,390
Francesco made 3 posts in 2010. I doubt he is still reading this thread, unfortunately. You might try starting a new thread with a detailed description of your project and what issues you have. Be sure to include drawings, links or anything else that would be helpful.
 
Top