IR Sensor

HighVoltage!

Joined Apr 28, 2014
What IR sensor would "sense" when a "typical" NEON LIGHT BULB is illuminated? Would this be based on light spectrum range? What is a neon bulbs light spectrum range?

Overall, I would like to be able to detect the slightest flicker.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Without looking up the specifics, neon is obviously in the visible range. Not sure just how sensitive an LDR or Photo-diode/transistor would be to it. It sounds like to do some experimenting. To increase sensitivity I would mount the sensor as close to the neon bulb as possible. Another suggestion to increase sensitivity would be to use a cylinder (paper tube) to block outside light with the sensor in one end and the bulb in the other.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
A current sensor on the supply wire might be easier, and more reliable as it won't get dirty and doesn't have to be lined up just right.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
A current sensor on the supply wire might be easier, and more reliable as it won't get dirty and doesn't have to be lined up just right.
That would depend on how the neon is being energised. If it is connected in a live mains circuit safe isolation would be required for the detected signal. That would make the solution more complicated than using a photo diode.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
True and it may not even be connected if detecting HV. I briefly thought of it being detected in-circuit but stuck to what the TS was asking. Although a bit short on details to work with.

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
You Americans have a largest spectral database in the Wold. Just pick the letters Neon in the NIST site and will get the full data.

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
First, why do you specify IR sensor ?
When neon optocouplers were unobtanium, I superglued LDRs to the neon bulb glass. You can use a photodiode or phototransistor too.

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
Before to speak seriously about sensing the target speed must be named. miliseconds, picoseconds?? Neon is rather fast thingy.

HighVoltage!

Joined Apr 28, 2014
Thanks for all of you guys input! I actually ran out of options in trying to detect a 1mA (AC) signal. I know its such a low current signal! This is why I am trying to experimenting with a neon bulb/IR sensor in series. I want to instantaneous detect a 1mA AC current signal in an AC circuit.