IR obstacle on bistable relay

Raymond1972

Joined Oct 24, 2021
Hello all,

I’m looking for a wiring diagram for a project with two 5volt IR obstacle detectors connected on a bistable relay.

the case is as follows; when the first ir obstacle detector detects movement, it must switch the relay to NC and when the second ir obstacle detector detects movement it must switch the relay to NO.

I have tried many setups but can not make it work.

Can someone please post a wiring diagram.

I use ir obstacle detectors type HW-201 and 5v bistable relays.

thank you

Raymond

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
Show us your attempts, a block diagram will do.

Are you attempting to drive the relays directly from the sensors?

Also, provide more information on the relay.

Last edited:

Raymond1972

Joined Oct 24, 2021
Show us your attempts, a block diagram will do.

Are you attempting to drive the relays directly from the sensors?

Also, provide more information on the relay.
Hello,

yes, I would like to trigger the bi stable relay with 2 sensors.

please find attached the diagram I tried

it is for a normal relay so I build the setup from this diagram twice and mounted it to the bi stable relay.

the relay I use is 5v

Attachments

Raymond1972

Joined Oct 24, 2021
Hello,

yes, I would like to trigger the bi stable relay with 2 sensors.

please find attached the diagram I tried

it is for a normal relay so I build the setup from this diagram twice and mounted it to the bi stable relay.

the relay I use is 5v
please see attached the relay i used.DD5FD824-A4A5-4953-ABFE-A9603769C105.jpegDD5FD824-A4A5-4953-ABFE-A9603769C105.jpegDD5FD824-A4A5-4953-ABFE-A9603769C105.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
From the pin configuration I'm guessing that's a 2-coil relay. Show us how you've wired the two detectors to the two coils.

Edit: Type number confirms 2-coil.

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
From your diagram it looks like the relay coil is "off" when the sensor is detecting, is that what you want, I would think it should be the other way around.

Your diagram shows an inversion, in other words when the sensor output is high, the first transistor turns on turning off the second transistor and the coil.

Try driving the coil with just a single NPN, this will energize the coil when an object is detected.

Unless the sensor is active low...but I believe that sensor is active high.

Raymond1972

Joined Oct 24, 2021
From your diagram it looks like the relay coil is "off" when the sensor is detecting, is that what you want, I would think it should be the other way around.

Your diagram shows an inversion, in other words when the sensor output is high, the first transistor turns on turning off the second transistor and the coil.

Try driving the coil with just a single NPN, this will energize the coil when an object is detected.

Unless the sensor is active low...but I believe that sensor is active high.
the sensor signal is “high” (approx. 4,86 volt) when there is no object to detect.

When the sensor detects an object, the sensor signal is low.(approx. 0,14 volt)

tomorrow I will try your setup suggestion with one transistor.

As I used the setup in the diagram I posted above, the relay does not work when the sensor detects an object but the detection led does lights up when the sensor detects an obstacle.

thanks for your help.

Raymond1972

Joined Oct 24, 2021
the sensor signal is “high” (approx. 4,86 volt) when there is no object to detect.

When the sensor detects an object, the sensor signal is low.(approx. 0,14 volt)

As I used the setup in the diagram I posted above, the relay does not work when the sensor detects an object but the detection led does lights up when the sensor detects an obstacle.

thanks for your help.
If it is not too much trouble and work for, can you please post a simple drawing of the setup for me as I’m not very well familiar with connecting and building electronic setups like this.

This setup is for my model railway.

thank you

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
No, my assessment was based on the output going high when an object is detected, if the output is as you say, then the circuit in post #3 should work.

Perhaps the 27k base resistor is too high, maybe it should be 2.7k.

I'm sorry for the confusion, but I couldn't find a proper data sheet for that sensor.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
My first question is about the object blocking the sensor: are both sensors blocked at the same time? or is there a momentary blocking of one followed by a momentary blocking of the other? And is the blocking always in the same sequence? These rtaher fundamental questions define the logic needed to provide the desired operation, and yet I did not see this part adequately described.