IR LED Illuminator Lamp Using Rechargeable Battery

jon712

Joined Oct 9, 2018
Hi all,
First post here and seeking some advice/help with this. I have spent a long time attempting to figure this out reading and such, and I am having no luck. Turning to you guys for some help I'll try and explain clear and easy as I can.

I am trying to take this light and run it off a portable, rechargeable battery pack. This is where I get lost. How can I go about figuring out what type/size of battery pack and also the aprox. amount of run time it will provide. I need probably at a minimum one hour or more.
Is it even possible?

This Light:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/48-LED-ill...hash=item2602e2944e:m:mi_5YNKxvsWFgLH_NdmBFNQ

Thanks in advance for any advice

jon712

Joined Oct 9, 2018
Additionally, I wanted to add this as well. I come across someone claiming they are running this off a 9v battery for aprox. 5 hours? That would work also, providing I can figure out if its correct.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Looking at the information which is provided I do see:
"DC 12V 500mA adaptor(not included)"

Now while they only mention that this is an adapter you can figure a load a little below 500 mA or 0.5 Amp. While I don't get the 9 Volt battery as the average 9 volt battery is a roughly 300 mAh to about 490 mAh battery meaning the battery at 9 volts should deliver 0.3 to 0.49 amp for about an hour. Unfortunately a 9 volt battery will not deliver the needed or let's say desired 12 volts.

So let's in the interest of a margin say we want a 500 mAh source at 12 volts. In theory a 12 volt 1 amp hour rated battery would last 2 hours. A common 7.0 amp hour 12 volt sealed lead actid battery would last about 14 hours with a 500 mA load. So a battery like this and a simple battery tender like this would power your lights for about 14 hours with some margin tossed in.

Just examples as there are no shortage of suitable other battery types and chargers including LiPo type batteries. I mentioned lead acid only because they are inexpensive and easy to charge and maintain.

Ron

jon712

Joined Oct 9, 2018
Thanks for the help. Makes a little more sense now the way you explained it, where I almost understand.
I was really hoping I could power it from a small rechargeable battery pack that would give 2 hours(dont need more). I needed to make it portable.

I went back and looked and I was incorrect though on the light. I linked to a 48 bulb rather than a 36. So now I need to find the 36 and see if I can figure it out. I'll return once I locate the correct light.

Thanks much again

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Just look at the rated current draw and divide that into the AH (Amp Hour) rating of the battery. So for example a 300 mA (0.3 Amp) current draw would give you about hours on a battery with a 1.0 AH rating. I use "about" because this is not a very exacting science with a few other things figuring in. Most good batteries will have a manufacturer's chart showing a discharge curve for various loads on the battery. You really do not need a very large battery pack for what you are mentioning and there are LiPo type battery packs available with included plug in charge systems.

Ron

jon712

Joined Oct 9, 2018
Thanks again. I have to hold off on the project for a bit. As soon as I continue, i'll probably ask just to help confirm what I decided to go with. Thanks again