IR FLuorescent material

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
I seem to remember seeing some material which fluoresces in IR light for testing remote controls. I can't find any such thing - did I imagine it?

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Got a camera? Got a cell phone with a camera? Got a webcam? They pretty much all are sensitive in the IR range.

Here's a picture I just took of the business end of a basic IR controller.

IR.jpg

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
My phone camera doesn't 'see' IR. I seem to remember that they have a filter to remove IR.
For instance: https://www.quora.com/Why-do-manufacturers-put-IR-filters-in-smartphone-cameras
Every mobile phone and laptop camera has an IR bandstop filter. It’s needed because the sensors have response in the IR and it would swamp the visible light. The difference in sensors and filters, though, means that some can see still see IR very well, some less well, and some almost not at all to the point the visible light in the image renders it invisible.

It is possible that in a dark room you would see it.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
My phone camera doesn't 'see' IR. I seem to remember that they have a filter to remove IR.
For instance: https://www.quora.com/Why-do-manufacturers-put-IR-filters-in-smartphone-cameras
Have you actually done the experiment, or just going by what someone on teh innerwebs said?

Admittedly my actual experimental evidentiary photo taken yesterday is a best case scenario where the camera is direct on the IR source. If I was just looking for a proof of life from an IR emitter this would be a fine test for zero dollars using equipment I (and many others) already possesses.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Have you actually done the experiment, or just going by what someone on teh innerwebs said?

Admittedly my actual experimental evidentiary photo taken yesterday is a best case scenario where the camera is direct on the IR source. If I was just looking for a proof of life from an IR emitter this would be a fine test for zero dollars using equipment I (and many others) already possesses.
This photo was taken with an iPhone 12 Pro Max. The red arrow points at the IR emitter of a Fluke Bluetooth transceiver. The green arrow points as a diagnostic LED on the circuit board that indicates an IR transmission. I can see nothing at all from the emitter.

The iPhone 12 Pro is supposed to have state of the art cameras. I imagine they made sure the IR cut filters were the best they could manage to maximize dynamic range. But, the webcam on my iMac also doesn't see it which leads me to believe the current IR cut filters have generally been improved.

An IR remote tester shows there is IR being produced. I do know that in the past, the IR emitters in remotes were readily visible on phone cameras but I had noted a reduction in sensitivity over time when I used it to check a remote. I guess my current phone is useless for the purpose.

1648406367180.png

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
My interest is to be able to track where the IR is going - where the maximum intensity is - for an LED mounted in an enclosure. An IR card would make this easy.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
My interest is to be able to track where the IR is going - where the maximum intensity is - for an LED mounted in an enclosure. An IR card would make this easy.
i don’t quite understand. Do you mean there is a IR LED mounted in an enclosure pointing to the outside or to the inside?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Pointing outside through a hole. I would need to make sure the LED and the hole are optimally aligned.
This is my design/build.
I have used a method in the past where I found a visible light diode (something like blue is good, white less so) that had the same size and optical characteristics then darkened the room and took a photo from the LEDs point of view.

The blue light shows up pretty well, with distinctive beam pattern, if you get the exposure right. It worked in my case where I was trying to avoid overlapping a couple of IR repeaters but I don’t know if it is useful for you.

bassbindevil

Joined Jan 23, 2014
You can pop (OK, crack) the IR filter off a digicam or webcam. I've done that successfully with a 640x480 webcam, haven't dared to do that to a better webcam yet, but it might be cool for watching critters in the back yard. Discussion of webcams, with the tip that a piece of exposed colour film negative works as an IR pass filter:
https://www.alcs.ch/logitech-c910-infrared-conversion-for-nightvision.html

Sony infamously made some camcorders where the "Night Shot" switch positioned half-way would remove the IR filter without fully enabling night mode, and therefore allowed voyeurs to see through clothing (more so if an external IR pass filter is used). There were other cameras where a magnet applied to the lens housing would disable the IR filter.
http://www.aparchive.com/metadata/youtube/ad99e1a3930185817a1275d284408e3b

Last edited: