IR Avoidance Sensors

Imstevil

Joined Oct 23, 2020
Hi All,

Hoping someone might be able top point me in the right direction. I got myself some IR avoidance sensors ( https://www.jaycar.com.au/arduino-compatible-ir-obstacle-avoidance-sensor-module/p/XC4524 ) and I can't get it to work for some reason and I know it's got to be some human error on my behalf as they are such a simple little thing.

My understanding of these are that they put out a constant voltage from the output pin until it senses something is within range. Whilst ultimately I want to use this on a raspberry pi ( it will be for a lap counter for a slot car set ) for now I've just set it up on a breadboard and power supply to get an understanding of it. I have plugged in the power, left the EN jumper on, and gone from the output to an LED, it works and it lights up, but no matter how close I get to the sensor and or what adjustments I do, the LED constantly stays on. I have 3 of the sensors brand new out of the box, and can't get any of them to work as I thought they should ( like this
)

I have attached a couple of photos of the setup in the hope someone can help me know what I have done wrong. Please note I have also tried on a rasp pi and got the same results, I also tried with a multi meter and got the same as well.

Thanks in advance anyone who can point me in the right direction!

20230408_061818.jpg
20230408_062028.jpg

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
Does the output change if you block the IR source by wrapping a piece of opaque card around it? The type of sensor they are using looks like a standard IR receiver used in remote controllers. They are very sensitive and it may be picking up leaked IR and reflections from the source. You may have to use a card or plastic tubes to direct and shield the the source and detector from random signal leakage paths.