IP address for device

Sparsh45

Joined Dec 6, 2021
PC android mobile, smart tv are devices with own IP address. They all have in common that they have a processor. What happens inside a personal computer from which it generates its IP address

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
When a new device is added to a network, it will ask the router for a address and the router has a table of who is on the network and what addresses are available. In my network the router has the address 192.168.11.1 and it assigns addresses from .2 to .255.

I have some old cameras on the network that can not get a address from the router. So I have to go and force the camera to a address.
DHCP Here is a link.
I have 5 routers in my network. Only one does Dynamic Addressing. (gives out addresses) The other routers were told they do not pass out addresses.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Every device has a unique MAC address (Media Access Control). This address is fixed. It does not change.

Your IP address is assigned by your ISP (Internet Service Provider). You do not get to choose this.

If you are running an LAN (Local Area Network) such as a router or WiFi netwwork, the router will assign your IP address.
For example, most routers will assign an address such as 192.168.0.xxx where xxx changes from device to device.

The IP address of the router on the global network side is assigned by the ISP.
The IP address of the router on the LAN side is 192.168.0.1

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
PC android mobile, smart tv are devices with own IP address. They all have in common that they have a processor. What happens inside a personal computer from which it generates its IP address
What you are referring to is Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA).
The computer will self assign an IP address if it can't find a DHCP server and hasn't been configured a static IP address.

google "APIPA address" for more info.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Don't think MAC addresses provide any security or can't be changed. It's usually trivial to change it at the OS level and it's a good idea when using untrusted public networks. I've spoofed MAC addresses on a new server to that of the older server many times.