ion thruster build for special use

gaelinthout.official

Joined Oct 15, 2023
hey everyone i want to build a ion thruster for a project of mine and it needs to lift like 100 kg ( 220 lbs ) so it needs to be powerful enough tho what electronics ( Kv and Amp config do i need to use)

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
hey everyone i want to build a ion thruster for a project of mine and it needs to lift like 100 kg ( 220 lbs ) so it needs to be powerful enough tho what electronics ( Kv and Amp config do i need to use)
Show us your calculation that informs you that this is feasible. In other words, what velocity and how many of whatever ion you have chosen must be expelled to get over 220 lbs of thrust.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Welcome to AAC!

Sounds like a neat project. Do keep us informed on the progress of your project.

gaelinthout.official

Joined Oct 15, 2023

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
If you can get the thruster to have similar efficiency, you will need about 18MW to power it. Do you by any chance own a medium sized power plant?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
It is not likely that that thrust force can be achieved with any power source that can be moved by hat thrust level.
I have read an article on electrostatic drive and the thrust levels are much less.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
To the OP, it's a nice dream but it won't happen.

https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2017/...watts-of-power-and-5-4-newtons-of-thrust.html
X3 ion thruster achieves record 102 kilowatts of power and 5.4 newtons of thrust
"It operated at a huge range of power from 5 kW to 102 kW, with electrical current of up to 260 amperes"

They are all designed for high DeltaV, slow acceleration applications in deep space.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specific_impulse

Fundamentals of Electric Propulsion: Ion and Hall Thrusters
https://descanso.jpl.nasa.gov/SciTechBook/series1/Goebel__cmprsd_opt.pdf
Page 15: 2.1 The Rocket Equation
The mass ejected to provide thrust to the spacecraft is the propellant, which is
carried onboard the vehicle and expended during thrusting. From conservation
of momentum, the ejected propellant mass times its velocity is equal to the
spacecraft mass times its change in velocity. The “rocket equation” describing
the relationship between the spacecraft velocity and the mass of the system is
derived as follows.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
An Ion thruster will weigh more than it can lift. They're useful in space because in zero gravity (or micro-gravity) they don't have to lift their weight, they just gently push and push and push until the spacecraft has reached some velocity. One that can lift itself? Let me say this: When I was a kid I dreamed of an electric car, a real car, not a model or toy, that can be run from a single 9V transistor battery. Reality check here - that's not going to happen. Ever. Neither are you in this lifetime going to build an ion thruster that can lift its own weight PLUS an additional 200 pounds. But like MrChips said:
Do keep us informed on the progress of your project.