Inverter Circuit using 555

imraneesa

Joined Dec 18, 2014
Dear Sirs,

I am trying to make inverter circuit using 555 using the attached schematic diagram.
except i used 33uf instead 100uf (first capacitor) and 3300uf instead of 2200uf.
the transformer i took from 17w fluorescent emergency light. that had 5 pins. 3 pins output side and two pins primary side.
i did not use the third pin. i dont know where to connect it.
my problem when i connect it to the batteries (4x3.7v lithium batteries) i am getting input signal only 0.57ac and output when i tested is 1.1ac only. output is connected to 17w fluorescent tube. i am attaching the picture of what i did also.IMG_20150501_095655.png IMG_20150501_095704.png IMG_20150501_095727.png invertera.png

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Divide and conquer. I would start by verifying that your 555 circuit is working. Break the connection between the output at pin 3 and the bases of the transistors. Put an LED there and see if it flashes. (You'll have to slow down the timer so that you can perceive the flashes.)

While the two parts - the oscillator and the amplifier - are disconnected, you can also verify that the transistors are working properly. Just touch that resistor to either power rail to see if they switch as intended. It's very easy to get the pins wrong.

You could also replace the transformer with a speaker, so you can hear your oscillator working.

imraneesa

Joined Dec 18, 2014
when i broke the circuit and added the led and changed the capacitor value to little big to slow down the frequency. the led start to blink good. now i am not sure how to test the pnp and npn transistors. in the datasheet it saying three pins as Base Collector and Emitter.
why they have added 100 ohm at pin 3? the datasheet of tip41c and tip42c saying that the base current is 2A. if we are supplying 10v then resistor should be 10v/2amps i.e. 5ohms. why they used 100 ohms there. am i making any sense?

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I suspect your transformer is a high frequency type not a low frequency type so that's where most of your problem is.

imraneesa

Joined Dec 18, 2014
so can i make use of same circuit with just changing resistor values to make it high frequency. how to make use of that transformer? how to find about that transformer? and what is that additional pin on the output side. is that have something to do with its working?

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
so can i make use of same circuit with just changing resistor values to make it high frequency. how to make use of that transformer? how to find about that transformer? and what is that additional pin on the output side. is that have something to do with its working?
You may have to experiment with C/R timing values to get the best output from the transformer.

imraneesa

Joined Dec 18, 2014
when i check the voltage from the output after 2200uf capacitor to the negative terminal with the voltmeter i got ac current of 5v. but when i connect it to the transformer and then check the voltage on the input pins of transformer i only getting 0.5v. so where all the voltage going. if the frequency is not matching transformer does not behave good?

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
when i check the voltage from the output after 2200uf capacitor to the negative terminal with the voltmeter i got ac current of 5v. but when i connect it to the transformer and then check the voltage on the input pins of transformer i only getting 0.5v. so where all the voltage going. if the frequency is not matching transformer does not behave good?
That transformer will have a *VERY* low impedance at the frequency you want - you'll have a tough time driving any power into it!

imraneesa

Joined Dec 18, 2014
but the same transformer use to light that fluorscent lamp. i have the circuit but i did not understand. it it was using d882 transistor. how to find what frequency it need. how to solve this problem. give me some ideas. i will follow as you say. thank you very much for your patience and kind help.

imraneesa

Joined Dec 18, 2014
That transformer will have a *VERY* low impedance at the frequency you want - you'll have a tough time driving any power into it!
i just want that transformer work. i want to see it work to light that same light it use to light before. please tell me what i can do.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
but the same transformer use to light that fluorscent lamp. i have the circuit but i did not understand. it it was using d882 transistor. how to find what frequency it need. how to solve this problem. give me some ideas. i will follow as you say. thank you very much for your patience and kind help.
The magic ingredient is switching frequency.

imraneesa

Joined Dec 18, 2014
I suspect your transformer is a high frequency type not a low frequency type so that's where most of your problem is.
how much frequency i can try it with. i am trying with in the range 40hz to 65hz. but no luck. but i notice as the low frequency output also reduced. so i dont know much frequency to apply. can you give me any idea? thank you.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
how much frequency i can try it with. i am trying with in the range 40hz to 65hz. but no luck. but i notice as the low frequency output also reduced. so i dont know much frequency to apply. can you give me any idea? thank you.
Assuming your florescent light transformer has a ferrite core - it won't work at mains frequency.

A few decades ago someone noticed that florescent tubes gave about 15 - 20% more light if they were driven with AC at 20kHz - you transformer is likely designed to work somewhere around that frequency.

If you want to make a battery to mains inverter - you have to use a big heavy laminated iron core transformer, just like they do in uninterruptible power supplies.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
these transformers are notorious not to work right at low frequency.

at 50 KHz you dont need 3300uF moreover it has no effect.
The circuit is for iron core transformer.

Also the tube needs starting voltage which is very high, then burns at maybe 70 volts, CFLs use a choke for that (like a HF ballast).