Introduction books for electronics and math for electronics

Vlad Moglan

Joined Dec 31, 2014
Hello,

I am currently a student in second year of a 2-year general IT (anything from embedded systems to OOP) education and I seek to continue my studies in the field of electrical engineering (electronics, embedded systems). The problem is that I don't have a foundation for the math and physics that are necessary in this field and I don't put my hopes into the fact that they're gonna start from 0 with us in the engineer school.
That's where I need some advice. As the title states, I need some books that would help me understand the basics and not only. Someone recommended me the Art of Electronics, but other people say it's not exactly beginner friendly and I want to make sure I fully understand each and every concept I'm exposed to.
So, I'm hoping for some suggestions. The question is not limited to math and physics books, but to any book that you think might help me have an easier start in my new education. Thank you in advance.

PS: I know that this question has been asked before but maybe not in the same manner or with the same interest; that's why I'm looking for a more personalized answer/conversation.

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
Best way to learn electronics is by doing it.
Theory wont teach you anything unless you back it up with some practical projects.
Basically pick a small project like a Night switch and then calculate the values for required components and understand how they interact which each other. That should teach you most of the basic equations and give you understanding of el. circuits.

Vlad Moglan

Joined Dec 31, 2014
Best way to learn electronics is by doing it.
Theory wont teach you anything unless you back it up with some practical projects.
Basically pick a small project like a Night switch and then calculate the values for required components and understand how they interact which each other. That should teach you most of the basic equations and give you understanding of el. circuits.
I can see where you're coming from, but my education will require me to know math and some physics as well, so I'm trying to get ready on as many fields that I can.

Vlad Moglan

Joined Dec 31, 2014
Hello,

Did you already have a look in the EDUCATION section of this site?
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/education/

If you have any questions, start a thread and the members will help you.

Bertus
I have started reading the first book of the series and I find it very easy to understand so far. I was just trying to have something more math oriented, but maybe that will come in later. I think that for now I should just proceed with reading it.

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
I can see where you're coming from, but my education will require me to know math and some physics as well, so I'm trying to get ready on as many fields that I can.
To design a circuit you are going to need to use plenty of equations.
Try a simpler book first then jump into more advanced ones.
Make Electronics –Learning by Discovery by Charles Platt

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
What is your present math/science background? The biggie for most people is to have a very solid handle on algebra -- almost everything else builds on that.

What IS part of the program at your school? What are their prerequisites for them?

Vlad Moglan

Joined Dec 31, 2014
What is your present math/science background? The biggie for most people is to have a very solid handle on algebra -- almost everything else builds on that.

What IS part of the program at your school? What are their prerequisites for them?
Algebra is my biggest problem. Right now at school I'm studying probabilities and statistics, although I don't think that's what I'll be studying when in Electrical Engineering School. Last year I studied discrete maths, graphs and analysis.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Prob/stats is definitely used in EE, particularly in signals and systems and in communications.

How much calculus have you had?

Vlad Moglan

Joined Dec 31, 2014
Prob/stats is definitely used in EE, particularly in signals and systems and in communications.

How much calculus have you had?
Forgive me for the late response, I had a lot of classes yesterday. Not too much. I've gotten to doing integrals in highschool and I was pretty good at it, but I made the mistake of joining the law school (since I thought coming out from an economical field wouldn't allow me to go into anything scientifical) and so I forgot most things. That's what I should work on.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Sounds like a good idea. And be sure that you don't just approach it from the perspective of how to manipulate the equations, but rather from a perspective of understanding what those equations and the manipulations mean and how they relate to real-world phenomena.

Whatashame

Joined Nov 30, 2015
Hello,

I am currently a student in second year of a 2-year general IT (anything from embedded systems to OOP) education and I seek to continue my studies in the field of electrical engineering (electronics, embedded systems). The problem is that I don't have a foundation for the math and physics that are necessary in this field and I don't put my hopes into the fact that they're gonna start from 0 with us in the engineer school.
That's where I need some advice. As the title states, I need some books that would help me understand the basics and not only. Someone recommended me the Art of Electronics, but other people say it's not exactly beginner friendly and I want to make sure I fully understand each and every concept I'm exposed to.
So, I'm hoping for some suggestions. The question is not limited to math and physics books, but to any book that you think might help me have an easier start in my new education. Thank you in advance.

PS: I know that this question has been asked before but maybe not in the same manner or with the same interest; that's why I'm looking for a more personalized answer/conversation.
I'm just learning so I purchased a book by Forrest M Mims. the3 , titled, " Getting Started in Electronics". I find it to be simple stated. I like and us this book alot. You can get it at Radio Shack. Some of the electronic parts for projects in the book are obsolete but with the internet, it's easy to find out a replacement part. If you want to learn I suggest this or any book by this author. Hope this helps and hope I didn't say or God forbid, do anything wrong.