Interpreting this electronics schematic

Xavier Pacheco Paulino

Joined Oct 21, 2015
Hi,

This is a part of the popular DC motor controller MC2100:

I'm trying to decode the function of some components. For example, I think R32 is a shunt resistor. But, what could be the purpose of R24, R26, R27, C16, R25, R23, C13, and C14? It looks like too many components around the motor. R24 and R26 go to the micro pins, but what are they measuring?

danadak

Joined Mar 10, 2018
The R dividers to the micro pins are to scale the voltages
that are higher than the UP can handle to its common mode
range, pins are probably an A/D or comparator. Look at the
manual for the 2100 to find out what pins are for. Caps of
course to eliminate noise so A/D looks at a clean signal.

Regards, Dana.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
They could be to allow the A/D of the micro to measure the back EMF of the motor in the PWM off period so as to get an idea of the motor speed.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
The Voltage across C16 with no signal from the mosfet Q2, is 0.49V provided by R22, R27, this is probably fed into the micro for current monitoring, as the motor spins and gets a load the voltage across R32 increases, and so your voltage across C16, . Ideally we need the full picture!

noweare

Joined Jun 30, 2017
Those resistors a such large values, maybe they are used to protect the micro from spikes from the motor and the mosfet when they switch. I really don't know. Why use a floating 5 volt supply ? I am not an analog guy by any means and this circuit proves it.

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If you are going down to any kind of low rpm, I would recommend using a minimum of 4 pulse/rev, or 10/rev if possible.
I use a slot opto, If using the magnet/reed switch type debounce is an issue that usually has to be addressed.
Max.

Xavier Pacheco Paulino

Joined Oct 21, 2015
If you are going down to any kind of low rpm, I would recommend using a minimum of 4 pulse/rev, or 10/rev if possible.
I use a slot opto, If using the magnet/reed switch type debounce is an issue that usually has to be addressed.
Max.
I would love using a slot opto in the machines that have a reed switch. But at the same time, I want to take advantage of the physical structure of the device, in this case, of the treadmill. Some of them, specially the home versions, always bring a reed and a magnet attached in the wheel.