Intermittent PSU problem for DMX controlled lighting unit

Xambax

Joined Jan 8, 2015
I have a psu that powers LED lighting device. It has input of 100-240V~ 47-63Hz 3.5A and it outputs 22V DC 6.5A. On the psu input terminals there are also wires that go out of the whole unit as "power out". So in short another device can be plugged into that power out in parallel with the first one. The unit seems to be working alright but when I plug another unit in power out, that other unit sometimes doesn't recieve power and sometimes it does. I changed the connector with no success and tried connecting different units on that power out. All contacts seem fine and cable is intact. The voltage on terminals reads 230V as they are supposed to even when the other unit appears to not recieve power. Output voltage of the psu is also fine (22V). Any pointers to look for solution?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The voltage on terminals reads 230V as they are supposed to even when the other unit appears to not recieve power.
That points to a poor connection of the load to the receptacle. Or, the voltage collapses for some reason when the load is attached. I would not expect any active components (like a relay) in the PSU although there could be. Not sure.

I like to put a light bulb on a cord and use the ends of the cord (bare wire) like the probes of a meter. Meters can give goofy readings when there is no load.