Intercepting RAW digital video camera signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaganse

Joined Nov 8, 2008
I am trying to intercept the RAW digital signal off of a video camera and send it straight to computer & harddrive for processing/capturing. I would like to capture the signal possibly with cat6 cabling & sending off to a computer for processing.

But I have a few questions to do this.

How would I possible make a cat 6 connection within the camera? would I have to solder in a cat 6 controller to the A/D converters of the Camera- Or something similar to a controller have to bridge the connection to cat 6 for further processing down the road? I seem to find nothing online for this purpose.

I was looking at a few solutions for post processing at the computer level - and some here pointed to this:

http://www.mathworks.com/products/daq/?s_cid=HP_FP_ML_dataacqtbx

Last edited by a moderator:

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
I'm not familiar with the acronym RAW, and Google was not cooperative in educating me. But if you can convert from RAW to UDP-IP then you can use Cat5. Heck, for the five or six feet you'll be running, you could use Cat3.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
This thread is a prime example for Bertus as I don't know where in the world gaganse is, so can't guess what video standards prevail or what suppliers reach there.

Anyway there are many solutions coming on to the market, particularly in the surveillance/security industry. For example

http://videobaluns.qc.net/PDF/specBL3265.pdf

RAW is a still camera file format and not directly relevant.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

For intercepting the signal from the sensors, you would need the schematics of the camera.
You would have to connect the signals before they get coded.
Here is a page of the EDUCYPEDIA on digital video formats:
http://www.educypedia.be/electronics/tvmpeg.htm

In normal videocameras mpeg coding is used.
For webcams h.264 often is used.

Greetings,
Bertus

gaganse

Joined Nov 8, 2008
I'm not familiar with the acronym RAW, and Google was not cooperative in educating me. But if you can convert from RAW to UDP-IP then you can use Cat5. Heck, for the five or six feet you'll be running, you could use Cat3.
Raw simply mean the raw, untouched, pure signal that comes off of the imaging sensors - before it gets compressed fit onto media like tape.

I would like for the video camera to have a long teather actually so I could shoot film projects & such without having to be too constrained. I'm guessing I would need Cat5 or Cat6 because I am pretty sure the signal that would be coming off the video camera would be pretty big.

gaganse

Joined Nov 8, 2008
Hello,

For intercepting the signal from the sensors, you would need the schematics of the camera.
You would have to connect the signals before they get coded.
Here is a page of the EDUCYPEDIA on digital video formats:
http://www.educypedia.be/electronics/tvmpeg.htm

In normal videocameras mpeg coding is used.
For webcams h.264 often is used.

Greetings,
Bertus

I have the schematics of the camera actually- or the service manual PDF.
Do you mean the RGB signals comig off the block? Yes I would believe that would need to happen somehow when it comes down the line and into the computer. I'm guess that would be done on the software level.

Yes. Most video cams compress the signal down so that it cam fit on media such as tape. But I would like the entire spectrum of the uncompressed image coming off of the imaging black CCD.

Any ideas are welcome.

Cheers!

davebee

Joined Oct 22, 2008
A few years ago I did something like this - I wrote a program to interface to a "cookbook" CCD camera and download and display its picture to the screen.

I think you have a very difficult project ahead, both from the complexity of the timing of the signals and also from the speed that you have to process them at.

But I don't mean to sound discouraging. Go for it!

How much detail is in that service manual? Does it show individual chips and their connections?

davebee

Joined Oct 22, 2008
Have you thought about buying a video capture card for your computer and connecting the camera's video output signals directly to it?

Status
Not open for further replies.