pp. 95-96 of "Student Manual for the Art of Electronics" (see attached) asks us to determine the input impedance of an emitter follower circuit (see p. 96 for the problem statement). The problem says to begin by measuring the voltage on either side of the 10k resistor. I did this, and the results are sketched in the other attachment. Basically, the signal on the far side of the 10k resistor (far from the AC source) is 20 mV below the signal on the near side (constant DC offset). So there is a 20 mV drop across the resistor. But how do I use this to calculate the input impedance? I thought maybe I should use (20mV)/(15V) = (10k)/(Z_in). This gives a value of 7.5 mega-ohms for Z_in. I'm skeptical that this is correct, though, because according to p. 66 of "The Art of Electronics," Z_in = (beta+1)*R_e. Here, R_e=3.3k, which implies that beta=2271. This is a very large value for beta, which I don't believe. But if this is not correct, then how do I calculate the input impedance given only the voltage drop over the 10k resistor?
Attachments
-
96.1 KB Views: 78
-
11.2 KB Views: 33