Infrared Transmitter & Receiver Sensor

Chris m

Joined Oct 21, 2016
hi SG,
The other important point is that the Emitter and Detector should be both IR sensitive devices.

Try this:
In a darkened room, arrange that the Emitter and Detector are pointing towards each other at a distance of 4 inches..
Measure the voltage across the Detector with a voltmeter [DVM] , then place a solid object between the Emitter and Detector, the measured voltage should change.
Tell us what you measure.
E

Chris m

Joined Oct 21, 2016
The dark device is likely the receiver. The darkening of the device is often engineered into the design as the manufacturer will not know the end use. Almost all manufactured devices ( tv, stereo, etc. ) using a clear IR receiver will have the device behind a red plastic pane to help reduce false triggering. The clear lens on the transmitter device is desirable to maximize transmitter IR power.

PhilTilson

Joined Nov 29, 2009
An easy way to check if an IR transmitter is working is to point a mobile phone camera at it! Phone cameras see IR as white light, so it is very easy to tell if things are working as they should.

Chris m

Joined Oct 21, 2016
An easy way to check if an IR transmitter is working is to point a mobile phone camera at it! Phone cameras see IR as white light, so it is very easy to tell if things are working as they should.
You are right, Phil. When I worked at a company manufacturing wireless remotes for industry, we used ir technology to calibrate "centre off" for our joysticks, which we made in house. And when I tested the sticks, I used an ir camera to detect position of the beam.
Anyway, I still maintain my theory about the light and dark devices for the components. Good to talk with you!
Chris....

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Parts that I have used for beam break 1 in. to 12 in.; TX, VSLY 5850-ND, 5 mm, 6 deg. ,850 nm.
Rx, surface mt. photo transistor with IR filter package, VEMT 2020X01CT, 30 deg., 880 nm.
Beyond 12 in. a modulated beam seems best. Using a red pointer TX un modulated detected it reliably at 300 ft. with shielding tube , red filter & broad band photo transistor.