Infrared Transmitter and Receiver

amit_m

Joined Mar 30, 2013
I am a software engineer, don't know much about circuits. I need some outputs based on a circuit to be used as input in my project but don't know how to design it. Need Help.
Specifications :
two fixed IR receiver and a moving transmitter (range 1ft x 1ft)
all are connected with clock
transmitter will send a time stamp and receivers will receive it get the receiving time.
I need set of three time stamps in a memory which i further need to use in my project.

Is it possible to design the same on a simulator and get the sample data

dezweb52

Joined Oct 12, 2011
Hi. Are you building the transmiter and receiver? How a you controlling them?

What I would do is build a simply transmitter and receiver to send and receive in serial. Then code your progrm around that with a serial stringfor 1 and so forth. Adding on start bits and stop bits and parity checking is encouraged.

amit_m

Joined Mar 30, 2013
More Precisely my specifications are-

The circuit consist of -

A moving transmitter which transmit the data (i.e time stamp say t1)
Two fixed receiver connected with quartz clock (receive the timestamp send by transmitter and read their receiving times say t2 and t3)

what i need as data is sets of (t1,t2,t3) at microsecond speed
data to be stored in memory which will be connected to laptop for further use

@dezweb52 for now i need the data to be used in async mode (first store in a memory that to be used further in my project)

dezweb52

Joined Oct 12, 2011
Ok,
I believe that you might want to use something like an arduino which is easy to program (I'm a software engineer and found building something like I describe below wasy to implement). The spec below is what I would build to store and transmit data between two points. It doesnt use infrared though, but it might be easy to do with modifiication. This uses a cheap RF solution like this:

http://apexlogic.net/code-bank/arduino/cheap-rf-solution-for-arduino/

I found that with this transmitter and about 6inchs of wire I was able to transmit a fair distance and through walls and such!

Transmitter:
Arduino uno or similar board.
Cheap 433Mhz transmitter
<your sensor of choice>

Receiver:
Arduino uno or similar board
Adafruit data logger (handles SD card and has a real time clock)
Cheap 433 reciever

The transmitter base can be programmed to transmit as and when you need, and you can use the clock inside the chip to keep a count or have the sensor transmit. The cheap transmitters use serial so you can send some data in the format <time><date><data> or what ever you want.

The reciever with the logger can receieve the data and store it or use it.

VirtualWire can be used as this has error checking between the two devices (stops random noise).

A lot of info above. A lot of reading. But hopefully all the information is online that you need. Good luck!

amit_m

Joined Mar 30, 2013
@dezweb52 Thanks for your help.
I got some idea (also did some google). I'll need to get some one who can make this on simulator.

dezweb52

Joined Oct 12, 2011
@dezweb52 Thanks for your help.
I got some idea (also did some google). I'll need to get some one who can make this on simulator.
Dont mention it. If the budget stretchs, just buy in the bits and give it a go. The arduino, I've found, is quite forgiving, and its fairly easy to use the arduino forums to get started. Even if you pop the chip, you can replace it on the board, and I don't think the chips themselves are that expensive. Once you do give it a go though its easy to get hooked!

amit_m

Joined Mar 30, 2013
@dezweb52 I welcome all of your suggestion and understand the idea but the issue is that I dont know much abt circuits (just know the basic which was part of my academic). I should mention that the purpose of posting on this forum is that I can get the appropriate specifications for what I need. Now I am a step ahead thanks to you.
Another thing is this is a concept, so will have to keep research and find the appropriate design for its usability.