Infrared Transmitter & Receiver Sensor

Srikanth Goskonda

Joined Nov 1, 2016
IR TX & RX

Hello Frnds I want to do a project based on IR Sensors
I bought IR sensor pair but i cant found which one is transmitter and which one is receiver
Please give me a solution

Last edited by a moderator:

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
No guarantees, if both look like 5 mm LEDs & one is dark colored, the dark is RX, if one has 3 leads = RX,
if one measures high resistance with one polarity & low with reversed polarity = TX if other measures high with either polarity.

Srikanth Goskonda

Joined Nov 1, 2016
I think you can understand briefly whats going in the ckt by below pics
Total 3 pictures are there
A. WITH POWER SUPPLY
B. WITHOUT POWER SUPPLY
C. SCHEMATIC DIAGRAM 20161102_161735.jpg

20161102_161744.jpg

20160619220538.png

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
The clear lens probably is the IR transmitter, but as long as the part numbers are a secret we cannot know for sure.

ak

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi SG,
Don't forget the IR emitter and detector are directional and must be pointing towards each other, round end to round end..
Looking at your images show them both pointing upwards.

Also any ambient light will drive the detector ON.

E

Srikanth Goskonda

Joined Nov 1, 2016
Thanx ericgibbs but it is not working
I did like two components placed opposite each other but not getting output
But output is got when light rays fall on the ir reciever by camera flash
IR reciver ir in transparent so is it effect with light rays please help me frnd i didn't have sufficient time and

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi SG,
The other important point is that the Emitter and Detector should be both IR sensitive devices.

Try this:
In a darkened room, arrange that the Emitter and Detector are pointing towards each other at a distance of 4 inches..
Measure the voltage across the Detector with a voltmeter [DVM] , then place a solid object between the Emitter and Detector, the measured voltage should change.
Tell us what you measure.
E

Srikanth Goskonda

Joined Nov 1, 2016
Ok frnd i will do
But i require IR led and detector only based on IR rays it should not effect with light rays
Please give components data sheet

Is there any difference between IR photo diode & photo diode

Last edited by a moderator:

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
But i require IR led and detector only based on IR rays it should not effect with light rays
hi,
There are IR frequencies in natural light and artificial light which can cause problems in the type of circuit which you are testing.
It is important that the Detector is not exposed to ambient light, it should be enclosed or shielded from ambient light.

The detector is usually made from 'darkened' plastic which helps to reduce the problems caused by 'white' light.

Have you measured the voltages as I suggested.?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
The opamp in the schematic is shown as an LM324, but the one on the breadboard is clearly not an LM324. Which opamp type are you actually using?

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi SG,
Well done.:)
What distance do you want between the Emitter and Detector.?
If it just a short distance say 4 to 6 inches then you could insert the Detector inside a hollow tube made of a light proof material, which has an internal diameter so the detector fits securely.
Make the tube, called a Collimator, about 2 to 3 inches long, insert the detector in the tube and align the Emitter and Detector so that the detector can only see the Emitter.

If you want to have a longer Emitter to Detector range you should consider using a pulsed emitter and detector.

E
This link shows an example of the pulsed method,
http://www.electro-tech-online.com/blog-entries/tsop1738-when-used-as-a-beam-break-detector.196/

Srikanth Goskonda

Joined Nov 1, 2016
I want distance between tx & Rx 5 inches away from each other and it shold not effect with ambient light rays those tx and receiver is photo diode and ir tx

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
I want distance between tx & Rx 5 inches away from each other and it shold not effect with ambient light rays those tx and receiver is photo diode and ir tx
hi,
If you use the 'tube' method described in post #16, the project should work OK over a 5 inch distance.
E.
I have a FB account but I very rarely us it, I am not social media person,:)