"Infrared remote design" .. need very urgent help

Abdelrahman Eldiasty

Joined Sep 4, 2011
hey all ..
um abdelrahman , 18 year-old Egyptian student and studying petroleum engineering
um studying electronics as a hobby ..
um still beginner .. i am working on making simple remote control and all stuff i have infrared LED and 3-pin phototransistors and push button and other resistors ..

plz i need a design for the circuit and have a discussion about it

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
please stop opening threads! stay in one thread only!

Please provide more details:

1. What's the purpose of this project? Demonstration or real world application?
2. Does the ambient light vary or is it more or less constant?
3. Is the components you mentioned all you have? Can you make a detailed list?
4. Can you buy other components?
5. What's the distance between receiver and transmitter?
6. What do you want to control?

Abdelrahman Eldiasty

Joined Sep 4, 2011
sorry again ..
1- the purpose is that just i want to learn how to make it .. i haven't got the design of it till now as i told um studying pet. engineering in univ. and electronics just hobby started few days before .. and sure not being from EGYPT , i will use it in demonstrationS ;)
2- ..........
3- yes .. all what i have ( 3-pin phototransistor c54713 which can't find no datasheet for it :( and infrared LED and optocoupler PCB17 and res. 1 , 10 , 100 kOHM and push buttom and relay )
4- sure i can buy any stuff cuz um still beginner and buy all what i need
5- ......
6- any thing i want only learn how to get out put signal and then use any thing

finally , thnx and hope u help me and advise me in my new way of ELECTRONICS SELF-STUDY

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
You didn't answer question 5. What's the distance? 1cm or 10m?

I can't find a datasheet neither for the c54713... can you take a picture of this component and post it?

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
This is all too vague...

You don't have the datasheet for the phototransistor, you don't know the wave length of the LED and you probably don't have an oscilloscope, so you will probably not be able to build anything working for more than a few centimeters.

If you want to start with anything right know, you'll first need to know the relay rating, this is what you want to switch right?
And you need at least a multimeter. Do you have one?

The best would be to buy some TSOP receiver and to build a simple oscillator with an 555 adjusted to the TSOP frequency and driving the IR-LED...

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
i have multimeter and the relay is 12v .. and have TSOP receiver , but donot know its frequency :(
Well that's something. Do you have the TSOP model number? Probably not... Frequency is not so much of a problem, but the pinout is, they are not all the same.

So you could build a simple astable multivibrator with a 555 timer IC, drive the LED with it. For the timing resistors you use potentiometers to sweep frequency from 36 to 56kHz, this way you can find out the frequency of the TSOP.

The bigger problem is the TSOP pinout... can you post a picture of it?

To give you an idea on how to build such a circuit have a look at this link:
http://www.engineersgarage.com/electronic-circuits/relay-activation-using-tsop-1738
You can change the tabs on top to see a circuit description and diagram.

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
You have the choice between the transmitter circuit from Arm_n_Legs or the one I posted, attached here again.

In Arm_n_Legs circuit you connect the IR-LED via a 330 resistor to GND. (LED pointing to GND).

Then you mount the TSOP circuit in the picture here attached and see if the relay engages when you point the transmitter towards the receiver.

Or you use the transmitter circuit with the NE555 in the attached picture. Replace R2 with a resistor in series with a potentiometer, the resistor having 750 Ohm, the pot having 1kOhm. This will give you an adjustable frequency of 32kHz to 57kHz.

I'd recommend you start building one of the circuits, and come back for questions regarding fine tuning.

The advantage of using a TSOP is that you don't need to worry to much about ambient light and interferences and that the distance you can achieve with this setup can be easily a few meters.

Attachments

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
praondevou,
Your schematic does not have a flywheel diode across the relay coil; as a result the transistor will most likely be destroyed in moments.

A number of IR receivers require the presence of at least n pulses, then an absence of pulses for a period of time in order for the input to be considered valid. n can vary, but 16 pulses would be a good starting number to try.

Abdelrahman,
You could use many general-purpose NPN transistors that have a collector current (Ic) rating at least twice that which is required to activate the relay coil. You will need to look at datasheets for the transistors that you are considering using. There are thousands of potential candidates, and we don't have the time to list them all.

Last edited:

tgotwalt1158

Joined Feb 28, 2011
hey all ..
um abdelrahman , 18 year-old Egyptian student and studying petroleum engineering
um studying electronics as a hobby ..
um still beginner .. i am working on making simple remote control and all stuff i have infrared LED and 3-pin phototransistors and push button and other resistors ..

plz i need a design for the circuit and have a discussion about it

Hi abdelrahman! Check this out! The attached file and if you need any assistance, don't hesitate to ask.

Attachments

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
@sgtwookie: thanks for mentioning the missing diode. I would also think that the TSOP needs bursts as described in their datasheets, however there was a thread where the guy did it without the bursts, just pure carrier frequency and strangely it worked... I never tried it this way...

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
thankS all for help ... but i found a design i think its simple but i want ur opinion about it ...
This circuit will be very ambient light sensitive, distance between receiver and transmitter will be very limited. You can however play around with it.
Don't forget to put a diode on the relay coil pointing towards +.

There is another problem, you don't know the pinout of your phototransistor.