Information You Don't Need

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
The only way demographics get out there is when people click the appropriate boxes.

Ever take an online IQ test?

They ask alot of questions. Those that want the results answer the questions ... including their phone number on most tests. Guess what ... giving out your phone number removes it from the Do Not Call list and it takes a minimum of 30 days to get the list back to all the those who use that list. Enjoy the telemarketers.

People willingly give up their information. The power to stop it lies in the user's hands.

Those free Online tests have a price. Some gladly pay the price, others will stop prior to getting their results. The corrective action is done by the person you see in the morning mirror, the glass device, not the newspaper.

And if you don't have cookie controls on your browser, it follows you.

This site, for example:
http://www.quantcast.com/allaboutcircuits.com

Even though ZERO Personal information about you is asked for, or kept here!

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Site not quantified. Data is estimated.
Sounds like a marketing tool to get Dave to subscribe.

And you get the "Rough Estimate" warning at the lower right side of the graph.

Dave doesn't need to collect anything ... well, we do put where we live out here in the public. Your computer on the other hand, could be full of tracking cookies.

I have cleaned computers with over 1000 tracking cookies ... and it was very slow till they were terminated.

According to that site, 77% of Dave's visitors are passers by. That's a significant number of the 75k US visitors.

Did you check out the other sites where the typical allaboutcircuits user might visit. I only recognize one that I've visited.

Last edited:

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Sounds like a marketing tool to get Dave to subscribe.

And you get the "Rough Estimate" warning at the lower right side of the graph.

Dave doesn't need to collect anything ... well, we do put where we live out here in the public. Your computer on the other hand, could be full of tracking cookies.

I have cleaned computers with over 1000 tracking cookies ... and it was very slow till they were terminated.

According to that site, 77% of Dave's visitors are passers by. That's a significant number of the 75k US visitors.

Did you check out the other sites where the typical allaboutcircuits user might visit. I only recognize one that I've visited.
That's the free version. Advertising and Marketing (banner ads and spammers) can dump a few thousand to that company and get VERY Detailed Information about people.

Run Firefox, Install the plugins No-Script, TACO (Cookie Opt-Out Block), CookieCutter (cookie control before it can be set at all), and most importantly, Flash Data Objects (YouTube, etc). The Flash "global cookies" are separate from browser cookies. The missing gaps are often filled in by people hotlinking images or videos from sites who are participating in the ad-sense and other "free" programs for web hosts to pay for the site.