Hi,
I'm planning to use a PIC18F4553 for a project of mine that will need to measure a voltage that could go up to 22V. I understand how to use a couple of resistors to set up a voltage divider to bring 0-22V down to 0-5V using the correct ratios of resistors, but I have a few questions:
What sort of values for resistors should I use? I would like the pic to draw as little current as possible from the voltage it is measuring, but be able to detect changes in voltage reasonably accurately and quickly. Should I be looking to use resistors in the range of 100Rs, 1Ks, 10Ks etc?
Is there any other kit I should include in this part of the circuit such as diodes or capacitors?
And finally, am I ok to use the same 5V supply (from a linear voltage regulator) to power the PIC and as reference voltage, or should I use a seperate 5V regulator as reference? How much more accurate would it be?
Thanks for any help, I'm quite new to MC's so I apologise if any of the questions are a bit stupid.
I'm planning to use a PIC18F4553 for a project of mine that will need to measure a voltage that could go up to 22V. I understand how to use a couple of resistors to set up a voltage divider to bring 0-22V down to 0-5V using the correct ratios of resistors, but I have a few questions:
What sort of values for resistors should I use? I would like the pic to draw as little current as possible from the voltage it is measuring, but be able to detect changes in voltage reasonably accurately and quickly. Should I be looking to use resistors in the range of 100Rs, 1Ks, 10Ks etc?
Is there any other kit I should include in this part of the circuit such as diodes or capacitors?
And finally, am I ok to use the same 5V supply (from a linear voltage regulator) to power the PIC and as reference voltage, or should I use a seperate 5V regulator as reference? How much more accurate would it be?
Thanks for any help, I'm quite new to MC's so I apologise if any of the questions are a bit stupid.