Induced Current

Overclocked2300

Joined Apr 24, 2005
Is the size (thickness,AWG) of wire proportional to the maximum amount of current going through a transformer? Meaning the AWG of the wire gets smaller (thicker) does it allow a bigger current transfer? Ie, if transformer has say 18AWG Wire and I increase it to 14AWG, will I get more current?

Sebi

Joined Sep 24, 2005
Smaller wire diameter = smaller current. If You have e.g. a trafo with 230to24V/2A=50VA, and need 12V/4A, possible make a new secondary winding with double cross-section wire. (not the double diameter!)

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Increasing the size of the wire will increase the ampacity of the winding - the ammount current which can be handled safeley. The actual current value can only be changed by altering the turns ratio or the input.

Suggested wire gages for transformers and inductors can be found here: www.pupman.com/listarchives/1998/April/msg00222.html+awg+%22for+coilers%22&hl=en]Google Cache of "Revised AWG Table for Coilers"[/url]
Note that the ampacities listed are lower than for transmission lines, due to the conductors being so tightly crowded. Heat happens.

Are you trying to "beef up" your isotransformer project?

Overclocked2300

Joined Apr 24, 2005
Well if I cant use the MOT for HV, Ive read I can rewind it. It will make due for a nice 12V High Amp PSU.

So I just needed wire size. Since its step down, there will be more Current on the secondary side than the primary. The thing is, The Primary winding looks like 20AWG, and the HV side has 30AWG, but has alot of windings..

Ive heard they are rated at 1000VA, and can blow a 20Amp Breaker.

BUT the disadvantage of this much current is that I would need 1 Huge Mofo Cap.

I am really still deciding what to do with it.

mozikluv

Joined Jan 22, 2004
hi

i think you should also consider the present tongue area, tongue width, stacking height, secondary winding lenght, sec. winding build-up and many more factors if you contemplating to increase your ampacity.

moz