Increase WiFi reception by hooking a wire around WiFi receiver antenna inside of PC

Willen

Joined Nov 13, 2015
There's a WiFi in another building. Due to the few walls between the router and the receiver computer (Dell desktop) cannot receive the signal well, fluctuates very badly and unable to surf internet. Simply cannot I add a few meter wire around the motherboard, where the WiFi antenna is placed? Maybe it's my childish question :) It's not practical to carry the desktop to my garden (where the signal is good) like laptop so feeling irritating.

Or any super and simpler idea?
(I am an electronic hobbyist)

regards

Willen

Joined Nov 13, 2015
When I was small, my uncle used to listen AM/FM radio. The radio had a meter of long telescopic antenna. To get distant station, he used to hook a very long wire into the antenna. In this way I exactly think that this might help me in WiFi reception hee hee :)

Willen

Joined Nov 13, 2015
There's a small slot and there a chip inserted (WiFi/bluetooth?) and two wires has been taken out to a card, hooked on PC casing.

It's said that the metal blocks the RF reception but PC casing is metal, and it covers the whole system.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
When I was small, my uncle used to listen AM/FM radio. The radio had a meter of long telescopic antenna. To get distant station, he used to hook a very long wire into the antenna. In this way I exactly think that this might help me in WiFi reception hee hee :)
Hee hee, there is a big difference in the frequency range of an AM transmitter or an FM transmitter and the Wi-Fi signal by at least an order of magnitude. What works for low frequency (longwave) RF won't likely work in the Gigahertz range. Unless you have a way of calculating or simulating a proposed antenna change you'll probably make it worse.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
With wifi everhything has to be right with the proper calculations .. What you need is called a direction antenna.. You can buy them but it would be cheaper to just build one ..

Willen

Joined Nov 13, 2015
With wifi everhything has to be right with the proper calculations .. What you need is called a direction antenna.. You can buy them but it would be cheaper to just build one ..
Seems exciting but not easy. Will you show a webpage or something like that how I can make a WiFi antenna and how to connect to the PC?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
An efficient directional antenna will take up more space than your present one. Can you accommodate it inside the PC and prevent nearby conductors degrading its directional properties?

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
It might help but most likely it will not help. It is a simple enough experiment to try; try various lengths connected different ways and see if you can get an improvement?

There's a WiFi in another building. Due to the few walls between the router and the receiver computer (Dell desktop) cannot receive the signal well, fluctuates very badly and unable to surf internet. Simply cannot I add a few meter wire around the motherboard, where the WiFi antenna is placed? Maybe it's my childish question :) It's not practical to carry the desktop to my garden (where the signal is good) like laptop so feeling irritating.

Or any super and simpler idea?
(I am an electronic hobbyist)

regards
As you said your Rx antenna is embedded on the motherboard you can't do anything on the receiver side(I previously created a parabolic collector on the receiver side).
As most of the wireless antennas(IEEE 802.11) are omnidirectional we need to physically redirect the radiated wave into a particular direction.
You can implement a parabolic reflector on the TX side( to your router) to concentrate the radiating power to your side(I mean pointing towards client ) and also to increase the transmitting power from the router you can set TX power to maximum (most OEM firmware have an option for this on router page ). I also prefer you to choose a higher frequency range with minimum interference like opting 5GHz channel. I don't know how much technical you are if you need to know much about wifi antennas I recommend you to refer this https://nci.ca/how-your-wifi-antenna-does-what-it-does/.
Please ping me if you need any assistance on this matter, I am happy to help you without any rewards :)

Willen

Joined Nov 13, 2015
Hi Boris,
I am sorry that I do not have the access of the dell desktop computer with built-in WiFi reception, any more. However its tiny module was placed inside the casing box. So your types of directional reflector method was not possible. Thank you for you help.

Last edited:

Willen

Joined Nov 13, 2015
Hi Bertus,
These are nice and useful. In that day I was in school for starting teaching. The schools had WiFi and the dell branded computer. In recent days, I am living in my home in my village current school is just 5km far from house. Just have simple computers without WiFi. Though, previous posts and ideas are very good for future purpose.