Increase the current for my 240 dc motor

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Why do you want to increase the current, the current increases with load, up to the Manuf rated power/torque?
If this is exceeded you can destroy the motor.
It has a continuous torque rating that is maximum at zero rpm.
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If you apply over 12vdc the maximum rpm may be exceeded, unless you provide a load within the motor rating in order to bring the RPM to within the rated value.
5krpm is fairly high for a small brushed DC motor.
Depending on the application and torque required, you could use a gear up method, either by pulley/belt or gearbox.
The torque will be lower directly relative to the ratio.
Max.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Series DC motors can sometimes be run at higher speeds by providing a higher voltage. BUT ALWAYS that increases the stress on the motor, leading toward earlier failure. This may include rapid catastrophic failure if the temperature rises high enough to damage the insulation, or if the centrifugal force exceeds what the rotor can stand. Also. higher speeds shorten brush life. So there is a tradeoff involved with getting more speed.

Last edited:

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I would power it with a variable power supply. And crank up the voltage a little. Monitor the temp....listen to the sound and see if your drive train holds together.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Hi max, my motor rpm is 5000rpm and sory my mistake its 12dc v, can i just increase it ?
Sounds as though you want to increase rpm, not current as originally titled.
The maximum for a brushed PM DC motor is around 3krpm, for a AC/BLDC etc, ~6krpm.
It is never wise to exceed the manuf rpm rating.
So you say you already have geared up, from what to what?
Max.

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Once again we are asked only one question and not told anything about what the greater picture is all about. Most of the participants at this site ARE NOT mind readers, nor are we aware of the actual project.
so the question becomes what is the goal, or the purpose to be served by running the motor RPM much higher? Usually there are other ways of achieving the intended purpose. Consider the person on another thread who wanted a switching system for running 120 amps through a coil wound with #24 wire. The discussion is still going on, but the person has been saved from a lot of wasted expense and a burned out coil.
So tell us what needs to be spun so fast, and how much actual power that spinning may take, and how long you need to do the spinning. Somebody may already have an answer for the challenge. There is a whole lot of experience available here.