How to increase current to drive a motor of 2A...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alternative

Joined Nov 1, 2008
I am currently work on a motor speed controller by using two NE555. The maximum output current for NE555 is 200mA as reffering to the datasheet. If I wish to drive a motor with a minimum of 2A, is there any electronic component that I can place at the output of NE555 to increase the current to 2?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Search on PWM or PWM mosfet. Chapter 6 of All About Circuits has a good introductory discussion. There have also been many posts to this forum about the same subject.

For a more detailed answer, you will need to tell us at what voltage you are operating, whether you want to be able to reverse the motor, and its maximum current draw. I am assuming it is a permanent magnet, DC motor. If not, you will also have to tell us what type of motor it is.

John

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
You can use a MOSFET on the output of the 555 to drive your motor. Also, put a protection diode across the motor to absorb the back EMF produced when switching it on and off.

tesla0157

Joined Aug 6, 2015
I am currently work on a motor speed controller by using two NE555. The maximum output current for NE555 is 200mA as reffering to the datasheet. If I wish to drive a motor with a minimum of 2A, is there any electronic component that I can place at the output of NE555 to increase the current to 2?
decrease windings of motor for more current

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
1) Very old thread
2) The TS's concern was not how to increase the current draw of the motor, but how to supply the 2A he needed with a controller that only put out 200 mA maximum

John

Status
Not open for further replies.