Increase Range of Temp Alert Units

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Nestor

Joined Jan 9, 2018
I currently place my temperature alert units outside my trailers because the signal does not get to the receiver when placed inside the unit. I am looking to boost the signal in order to place inside the unit for better readings.

The Temperature Alert unit is Model TM-ZP200 Rev B

It has a coax output that runs to the antenna.

If I add an external Op-Amp between the unit and the antenna, will this solve the range issue?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
If I add an external Op-Amp between the unit and the antenna, will this solve the range issue?
Not likely as the sensors transmit in the 2.4 GHz band. The wireless sensors transmit in the 2.4 GHz region to your ZPoint Cellular Edition. The problem is likely the transmitters are inside a metallic box. How are the transmitter antennas attached? Anyway the antennas can be moved outside the box while the sensors remain inside? You may also want to contact the manufacturer for any solutions, figuring you are not alone with this problem.
There are WiFi 2.4 GHz power amplifiers available depending on the sensor transmitter arrangement and federal limits on transmitter power may apply. A Google of WiFi power amplifier may get you some results but amplifying a 2.4 GHz signal is not as simple as adding an Op Amp.

Ron

Jeff Nestor

Joined Jan 9, 2018
Not likely as the sensors transmit in the 2.4 GHz band. The wireless sensors transmit in the 2.4 GHz region to your ZPoint Cellular Edition. The problem is likely the transmitters are inside a metallic box. How are the transmitter antennas attached? Anyway the antennas can be moved outside the box while the sensors remain inside? You may also want to contact the manufacturer for any solutions, figuring you are not alone with this problem.
There are WiFi 2.4 GHz power amplifiers available depending on the sensor transmitter arrangement and federal limits on transmitter power may apply. A Google of WiFi power amplifier may get you some results but amplifying a 2.4 GHz signal is not as simple as adding an Op Amp.

Ron
Thanks for the reply. Yes the trailers are metal semi trailers, I store 36,000 lbs of meat and cookie products in them. I usually put the temp recorder outside the trailer and insert the sensor up a drain pipe, but I find I get better recordings when the unit is inside the trailer.

The antennas are coax screw on to the side of the temp recorder, my goal is to place booster between the connections.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
From the user manual adding any kind of booster or modification of the antenna is not allowed under FCC rules and regulations.

It might be worth contacting the manufacturer and asking them if there is a usable solution.

upload_2018-2-7_21-31-57.png
upload_2018-2-7_21-32-31.png

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
You can try a 2.4 GHz amp along the lines of what I mentioned earlier or try and have the sensor unit in the trailer and using a short coax the antenna outside. I know the importance of making sure refrigeration trailers refrigerate. :) Saw a redrigeration trailer fail once in 90 degree heat, loaded with frozen fish, it wasn't pretty.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.