Inclinometer

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
I have received the following query. There is no reason for not publishing for everyone to see and comment on. However please try to make comments helpful, not a slanging match as this is a serious project.

were doing a project on inclinometer, we know that tilt sensors are out in the market.. however we're thinking to do it more on the analog based inclinometer using the potentiometer and a weight attached to it. our problem is we cant come up with a good circuit design for us to start with this one. we're hoping you can impart your knowledge on us.

I don't think that a weight applied to a pot shaft is a good way to go. The shaft friction is unpredictable. The mechanical design to cause rotation to the same point for a given angle and to prevent the weight pulling the shaft right round is difficult.

If you want to build your own inclinometer I would suggest investigating either toothed / perforated wheels on a common shaft, which you can register with a light beam. This is a transmissive system. Or you could go for a reflective system reflecting from coded patterns painted on a wheel. For an analog system if you painted a spiral of increasing brush-width on a wheel and measured the width where it intersected a fixed beam of light this would be proportional to rotation.

Last edited:

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Use a curved traugh with two strips side by side on the bottom , one metalic, other resistive[ paper strip covered with pencil lead?] Place a round ball [ or dollop of mercury ] in traugh. Apply voltage to ends of strip, metalic contact becomes the slider . Bias one input of an OP AMP to = level , othrr to ct. tap. Adj gain to convenient level; output porportional to +-slope. Might try a nicrome wire & a copper one of same guage.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
I have received the following query. There is no reason for not publishing for everyone to see and comment on. However please try to make comments helpful, not a slanging match as this is a serious project.

You could also use a variable reluctance scheme....a couple of magnets with a moveable plate. Probably a bit more mechanical than the optical encoder, but truly analog. :)

eric

I don't think that a weight applied to a pot shaft is a good way to go. The shaft friction is unpredictable. The mechanical design to cause rotation to the same point for a given angle and to prevent the weight pulling the shaft right round is difficult.

If you want to build your own inclinometer I would suggest investigating either toothed / perforated wheels on a common shaft, which you can register with a light beam. This is a transmissive system. Or you could go for a reflective system reflecting from coded patterns painted on a wheel. For an analog system if you painted a spiral of increasing brush-width on a wheel and measured the width where it intersected a fixed beam of light this would be proportional to rotation.
You could also use a variable reluctance scheme....a couple of magnets with a moveable plate. Probably a bit more mechanical than the optical encoder, but truly analog. :)

eric

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
If you can find Hall effect sensors with an unmodified output so their response is in proportion to the intensity of a magnetic field, then a small magnet hung on a string equidistant from 3 or 4 sensors should give good results. Take some calibrating, though.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Use a curved traugh with two strips side by side on the bottom , one metalic, other resistive[ paper strip covered with pencil lead?] Place a round ball [ or dollop of mercury ] in traugh. Apply voltage to ends of strip, metalic contact becomes the slider . Bias one input of an OP AMP to = level , othrr to ct. tap. Adj gain to convenient level; output porportional to +-slope. Might try a nicrome wire & a copper one of same guage.

I didn't know mercury came in "dollop" form. :D